Is Wilton Mmf And Gumpaste Gluten Free??

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm by Traci805

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 11:40am
post #1 of 11

am unable to find an absolute yes or no. does anyone know for sure? can't take the chance of making someone sick.

10 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 11

Why don't you contact Wilton directly and ask them?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 11

Call Wilton, they'd have the answer.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 11

As far as I can tell it is Gluten free....I don't have a definitive answer BUT my brother is Celiac and he has eaten my fondant many, many times and has never gotten sick form it! If I'm not making a whole gluten free cake I will often just save him some icing and/or fondant for him to snack on! he loves it!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 11

Doesn't gluten come from wheat? There are no wheat products in fondant or gumpaste.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 11

I'm noticing more and more companies are putting "gluten free" on their products. I was surprised when someone picked up some Sam's club powdered sugar for me and it said Gluten Free.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:17am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't gluten come from wheat?

The proteins that make up gluten are found in wheat, barley, and rye. A protein in oats is so similar that it can also trigger an immune response in a person with coeliac disease.

Quote:
Quote:

There are no wheat products in fondant or gumpaste.

Besides the obvious flours and starches that come from glutenous grains, there are other baking and cooking products contain gluten. Things like simple and complex sugars made from starch; malted and sugar syrups; products that are "grown" in gluten bases; and the list goes on ..

With icing and frosting ingredients, it is ingredients like Dextrin, Maltodextrin and Dextrose may be sourced from wheat or barley .. or the manufacturing plant may be cross-contaminated with flour, starch sugars, etc ...

1. Powdered sugar contains a component of starch .. in the US, it is usually cornstarch BUT not always .. imported products may contain wheat starch.
2. the main ingredient of confectioner's sugar is sugar but not always sucrose ..

Things to think about ..

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:55am
post #8 of 11

yes wilton gumpaste and fondant are totally gluten free, i had asked them this in a email a while ago and their products are gluten free

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

With icing and frosting ingredients, it is ingredients like Dextrin, Maltodextrin and Dextrose may be sourced from wheat or barley .. or the manufacturing plant may be cross-contaminated with flour, starch sugars, etc ...

1. Powdered sugar contains a component of starch .. in the US, it is usually cornstarch BUT not always .. imported products may contain wheat starch.
2. the main ingredient of confectioner's sugar is sugar but not always sucrose ..

Things to think about ..

Great onfo, auzzie...obviously my knowledge of this issue is really limited. Good thing I don't need to cook/bake gluten-free. This makes me wonder about how gluten-free baked goods really are. I believe this is the first time I've read anything about sugars possibly containing gluten.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 11

Alcohol and vanilla can be a problem for people with gluten allergies too.

Traci805 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traci805 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 11

Hello,

Also ask Wilton if the fondant and gumpaste are made in the same factory as gluten/wheat products. Just like someone with a nut allergy, they may use the same containers to make different products in a factory.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%