Which Do You Prefer? Mff Or Mmf?

Decorating By sweetlybaked Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 1:11am by dm321

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:47am
post #1 of 20

I have tried MMF, and although I love the taste over store bought fondant, I can't quite get it right. I know that it's cheap, so I should experiment until I get it right, but honestly, I don't have the time! Is Michele Foster's Fondant better in your opinion? My MMF isn't ever smooth enough for my liking, the one time it was, it was pretty hard. I've worked with Satin Ice, which I used to prefer, so I know what fondant is supposed to feel like, and my MMF doesn't ever feel like that. I work it out, but want to maybe try something new...Anyone have any advice? TIA!

19 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:05am
post #2 of 20

I use a 50/50 mix of MMF (Rhonda's) and MFF. Make 1 batch MMF to 1/2 batch MFF, or of course, if you need more, 2 batches MMF to 1 batch MFF, this makes almost 10#. Knead them together while still warm. It has the taste and mouth feel of MMF, the better pliability of MFF. I use it on cookies, but am sure it would be great for cakes too.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:09am
post #3 of 20

MFF..."hands down. I have never had good results with MMF and I've made it several times. MFF comes out perfect everytime and is a higer quaility fondant. thumbs_up.gif

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:01am
post #4 of 20

I was just wondering the same question last night. I use MMF and that is all I have ever used and I was wondering if I should try MFF to see what it is like. mamawrobin, is MFF as "stretchy" as MMF? I will roll my MFF to the perfect 1/4 inch and then when I try to move it, it stretches out.

mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by awatterson

I was just wondering the same question last night. I use MMF and that is all I have ever used and I was wondering if I should try MFF to see what it is like. mamawrobin, is MFF as "stretchy" as MMF? I will roll my MFF to the perfect 1/4 inch and then when I try to move it, it stretches out.

In my opinion MFF is as or more "stretchy" as MMF. For workability and pliability MFF is by far the best that I've used.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks. I will have to give it a try.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 20

I will have to agree, hands down, with mamawrobin. I have tried so many fondant recipes, MMF included, and not been happy. In fact, the only fondant my extended family ever ate, (as they are the best at giving me honest feed-back) was the "white chocolate" version of MFF. It can actually be eaten just by itself. It is a breeze to work with. I'm happy you are going to give it a try.

mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

I will have to agree, hands down, with mamawrobin. I have tried so many fondant recipes, MMF included, and not been happy. In fact, the only fondant my extended family ever ate, (as they are the best at giving me honest feed-back) was the "white chocolate" version of MFF. It can actually be eaten just by itself. It is a breeze to work with. I'm happy you are going to give it a try.

I've posted this on another thread as well. I make the "white chocolate" version 99% of the time. That stuff is sooooo good. I agree with milkmaid, it's good eaten just by itself. thumbs_up.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 20

MFF all the way with white chocolate chips added in. I have tried MMF and can't get it right. MFF is easy to make, work with and is inexpensive to make

sweetlybaked Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #10 of 20

Ok...thank you everyone! I made the MFF, tasted it...WONDERFUL. I'm not a fan of marshmallows, so this is much better for me. I've let it rest, and am about to color it (I forgot to color it in the liquid stage icon_sad.gif ) then cover "books" with it! Hopefully it turns out as well as it tastes! I'll update later when I'm done. Thanks again!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:38am
post #11 of 20

I am eagerly awaiting the results!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:03am
post #12 of 20

I have been working strictly with mmf....I cant seem to find the recipe for the mff...anyone have a link? I would love to try it!!!

mamawrobin Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:14am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

I have been working strictly with mmf....I cant seem to find the recipe for the mff...anyone have a link? I would love to try it!!!

Just go to recipes and type "Michele Foster's Fondant" in the search box. It will pop right up for you. thumbs_up.gif

sweetlybaked Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:27am
post #14 of 20

Ok...here is my verdict. I LOVE the taste of MFF, much prefer it over MMF. Workability is also better, IMO. I LOVE it and will probably not use MMF anymore! Have to find a good place to buy glycerin though now. You can see my cake in my photos, it's the stacked book graduation cake. My only problem was that the cake sweat, but it was my fault. I did not know to defrost the cake in the fridge FIRST then out to room temp. I went straight from freezer to room. BAD mistake. I came home after work and it was running all over the place! I had to redo the crest on top and sop up all of the mess! It still turned out well, though, I thought. And they loved it! Which is what really matters icon_smile.gif Thank you everyone for all of your input.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #15 of 20

I knew that you would like it thumbs_up.gif . I don't use any other fondant. It's just that good. I don't like MMF either.

hollyncas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyncas Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:04am
post #16 of 20

I can't seem to find the recipe for the white chocolate version of MFF...any ideas?

hollyncas Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:26am
post #17 of 20

ahhh..got it

mamawrobin Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:28am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyncas

I can't seem to find the recipe for the white chocolate version of MFF...any ideas?

If you read her recipe all the way thru she tells at the bottom of the page how to make different variations.

You just add 1 cup of white chocolate chips to the syrup mixture. I use 6 ounces of the white chocolate baking squares myself....YUMMY thumbs_up.gif

hollyncas Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:45am
post #19 of 20

Thank you!!

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #20 of 20

Thanks, everybody! I just love when someone else asks a question I have and gets me the answers I need! thumbs_up.gif

I've never made my own fondant - only ever used Wilton (for class & practice) and Satin Ice (for "real" cakes). (OH - and there was that incident with Duff's Fondant 'cause I needed the purple...) icon_redface.gif

Anyhoo - I've been too intimidated to attempt any homemade versions, but now I'm excited to try... and you guessed it - you all just talked me into MFF! icon_rolleyes.gif Can't wait to give it a try! Thanks!

Thanks for all the help, hints, & awesome inspiration thumbs_up.gif to everyone on this site. I just love it!!!

~diem

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%