Convection Oven Vs Conventional Oven

Decorating By 4realLaLa Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm by 4realLaLa

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:25am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me which oven you prefer to bake with and why? I have only baked in a conventional oven but I have heard that a convection oven is better. I am not quite sure why. If anyone has any info or preferences please share.
Thanks in advance.

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #2 of 6

Convection ovens are great for baking because they (generally) knock off about 1/5-1/4 of your baking time and your batters/doughs tend to bake higher/lighter because they retain more of their moisture. You can also reduce the temperature in convection ovens, which can save you a bit of $ on your energy bills when you include the shorter baking times too.

The air circulation bakes more evenly than "still/regular" ovens too. There aren't as many hot spots in convection ovens because of the air circulation. That's really useful when you have a few racks in there at a time.

Another good point is that we can bake multiple flavours at a time in the ovens. The air circulation hinders the transfer of flavours. (Not a huge problem, but a great bonus when you're baking spice cakes and lemon cakes at the same time for example!) icon_smile.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:58am
post #3 of 6

I am purchasing a new range very soon (GE Monogram). It has conventional and convection baking options. I never baked convection before, so while researching I came across just what antonia74 said. My DH also has high praises for convection cooking. For my particular range, though, it has been mentioned to have a hot spot in one corner, but the feedback I was able to obtain was that it didn't affect cake baking. I'm guessing it might affect cooking if baking multiple items at the same time (like during the holidays), but then you can just rotate as necessary. I can't wait to get it, as it's been on my wish list for almost the past 20 years! icon_wink.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #4 of 6

Good points too!

It's nice to have the option to turn off the fan of the convection. Things like fluffy cupcakes, for example, bake more evenly in the conventional/still oven....otherwise they can rise/dome to the side a little.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #5 of 6

I must be doing something wrong. I have an oven with conventional and convection baking options and another oven that is just conventional. Every time I try to use the convection to bake cakes, the cakes won't rise correctly, I was thinking it was b/c it was baking them to fast? But if you are not having problems then it must be something else? maybe?

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 6

@Antonia I am very glad you posted. I did not know all of that. I am thinking to purchase a new oven but I wasn't sure if I should just get another conventional oven. I am going to research but I wanted to know what my fellow bakers thought first. Thank so much for posting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%