My Cupcakes Domed On The Side??

Baking By pankake Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 4:16am by pankake

pankake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pankake Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 5

Hi there,

I made some cupcakes from a recipe that is known for doming (as I want that look). They did dome very high, but the point of the dome wasn't in the centre, but to one side of the cupcakes.

The batter is fairly runny so it went in the cupcake cakese evenly so I am unsure of what else may caused it?

Could it have been I didn't mix the batter in well enough so the leavening agent (baking powder) was distrubited evently??

Any advice would be great icon_smile.gif

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 5

Did you use a convection oven? Did you not rotate the cupcakes 1/2way through their baking time?

Both of those things would cause that to happen.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 5

Agree with PP, at work I have to rotate the pans after 10 mins or they only dome on one side. We call them elephant seals...icon_biggrin.gif Not sure why we call them that.... It's the fan in the convection oven that does it. Hope that helps!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 5

Along with the possiblity of the convection oven and the fan blowing.... is your oven rack level? If it's off just a little bit then the center of your dome can be too.

pankake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pankake Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:16am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much for your replied. No I didn't rotate the pan half way through, I didn't even think of it, but that makes sense. And I do used a fan forced oven.

I will try that and see how I go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%