How Long For Fondant Bow To Dry?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 10:55am by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 14

I am making two cakes for this weekend (one Saturday and one Sunday), and I need a big, loopy bow for each. I saw the wonderful tutorial here, so I'm hoping I am successful.

Two questions: should I use Michelle Foster's fondant for it, or is Duff's ok? I wanted a chocolate bow, which is why I thought the Fondarific (Duff's) would work, but I hear it's softer than other fondants. So, which do you think I should use? I was planning on kneading in Tylose to the chocolate Duff's if I went that way.

Secondly, when should I have the bow made? How long should it dry before it's needed, in order that the bow loops don't soften and flatten?

13 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 14

Make sure to use the tylose in the fondant and you will have a perfectly dry boy in one day....sometimes sooner depending on the humidity in your area. If you use straight fondant it can take up to a week or more for it to dry.HTH
Cat

KayMc Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 14

Great to know! Thanks! How much Tylose do you add? I don't know if it's 1 tsp or 1 cup! icon_redface.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:12am
post #4 of 14

I used Duffs black. 1 lb fondant with 1 tsp tylose. I mixed Sat night, let sit till Sunday, made loops and left them on their side to dry. They are firmer, but not rock hard today. I have one sitting now to see if gravity will collapse it- after 3 hrs or so, still looks like a loop (I started a thread earlier thinking I might have to completely redo with gumpaste).
So now I have 12 black loops and 12 orange loops (made with Wilton/tylose-firmer than the Duff loops) turned and sitting to see if they are going to stay loopy!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 14

If you want a quick drying bow I suggest pre-made gum paste. I use that for all my bows--and I made a big one for a Christmas cake the day before I delivered it. They can literally dry in hours depending on thickness and humidity. I use Wiltons Gum Paste.

KayMc Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:31am
post #6 of 14

Thanks lcubed82! Let us know how your results turn out!

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:39am
post #7 of 14

For decorations that are not going to be eaten, like loopy bows, I usually just use Wilton fondant with 40% off coupon. I make them a night before, stick them in the oven with light on, and they are hard as a rock next morning, ready to be placed on the cake.
Hope it helps, P

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

If you want a quick drying bow I suggest pre-made gum paste. I use that for all my bows--and I made a big one for a Christmas cake the day before I delivered it. They can literally dry in hours depending on thickness and humidity. I use Wiltons Gum Paste.

Same here. I can get all of the loops made and then ready to use within a couple of hours. Another 30-40 mins using some chocolate to assemble (and the freezer to harden the chocolate quickly) and the bow is ready to go. That's how I've done all of them in my albums

KayMc Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #9 of 14

Ok, I just now saw these great answers. BEFORE I read most of them, I made the bow loops out of Duff (Fondarific) fondant. I don't need them for a week. Are they going to be dry in time? My original intent was to knead Tylose into the fondant, and of course I forgot to do so. icon_cry.gif So, it's plain fondant. Am I in trouble?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Ok, I just now saw these great answers. BEFORE I read most of them, I made the bow loops out of Duff (Fondarific) fondant. I don't need them for a week. Are they going to be dry in time? My original intent was to knead Tylose into the fondant, and of course I forgot to do so. icon_cry.gif So, it's plain fondant. Am I in trouble?

I don't think so, but if you're having higher humidity than normal you may want to put a fan on them to help them along a little quicker.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:05am
post #11 of 14

I use straight Wilton fondant to make my bow loops & it dries within hours & holds its shape no problem.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:36am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I agree thumbs_up.gif .

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:38am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

How's the humidity where you are? I made a bow using fondant mixed with tylose and after 5 days it still wasn't dry. I never had this happen until then and the humidity was very high that week.

KayMc Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:55am
post #14 of 14

We have air conditioning on, so the humidity shouldn't be a problem in the house. I can't believe I forgot to add the Tylose - it was sitting there on the counter next to where I was working! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%