Michele Fosters Fondant

Baking By MommaDukes Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm by mamawrobin

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 18

I am getting ready to try this recipe I have heard so much about, but I have a question....
the recipe calls for 1/2 cup cream, instructions say "milk"

What kind of cream? Heavy whipping cream?? or what??

Thanks/
Pat

17 replies
Torea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torea Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 18

This is a great recipe, it hasn't failed me yet, (except for chocolate). I just use heavy whipping cream and it turns out fine.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 18

you can use milk, 1/2 & 1/2 or heavy cream, it doesn't really matter. I have used all 3 at different times with no difference. Don't forget to add about 3 oz white chocolate for a delicious taste

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 18

The updated recipe is milk,I use it all the time.Make sure not to add too much sugar or it will be dry after resting.Also make sure to strain the liquid.It is so good

MommaDukes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea

This is a great recipe, it hasn't failed me yet, (except for chocolate). I just use heavy whipping cream and it turns out fine.

THANKS!

But what do I do for chocolate fondant?
I was going to make that tomorrow. I have two cakes to do for this weekend and the one for sunday I was going to do choco fondant.

HELP

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 18

I think that the updated version has the chocolate instructions

Torea Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 18

I usually use MMF for the chocolate it taste great and it is easy to work with. If anyone has a good recipe for regular chocolate fondant please let me know.
Thanks!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 18

I just tried mixing fondant with modeling chocolate (recipe is in the recipe section) - 50/50 mix and it was amazingly good!!

Torea Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 18

WOW! cherrycakes..That sounds great! Was the texture like regular fondant? Was it easier to work with?

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 18

Does anyone know the shelf life of this fondant. Since it is made with milk I was wondering...thanks...Linda

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 18

I've done it w/ heavy cream, milk, and half and half! Works great for all 3!

Use Rhonda's Ultimate chocolate MMF

Not sure of shelf life, have kept leftovers for weeks in the cupboard and it was fine!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 18

If you are worried about shelf life make it with water- Michelle suggested that once.

MommaDukes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #13 of 18

ANOTHER QUESTION

I am need different colors, small amounts for stars and dots and stripes.

do I want til it's all finished? or do add coloring to small amounts of it while I am kneading?

Sorry to sounds like a ditz..

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDukes

I am getting ready to try this recipe I have heard so much about, but I have a question....
the recipe calls for 1/2 cup cream, instructions say "milk"

What kind of cream? Heavy whipping cream?? or what??

Thanks/
Pat

i had the same question and I use heavy cream
good luck

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea

WOW! cherrycakes..That sounds great! Was the texture like regular fondant? Was it easier to work with?

I haven't tried covering a cake with a 50/50 fondant/modeling chocolate mix but I used it for wooden planks for my pirate ship that I just made. It was a dream to work with and everyone ate every piece of fondant they could get their hands on! It tasted like a tootsie roll!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #16 of 18

I make Michele Foster's Fondant about 3 times a week. I LOVE this fondant. I usually add 1 cup of white chocolate (6 ounces) to the recipe. It makes it even more pliable and delicious. I add the white chocolate to the corn syrup mixture before microwaving.

I use heavy whipping cream in mine and have kept it at room tempature for up to a week. Mine never last any longer than that. icon_biggrin.gif

I've also made chocolate fondant using this recipe. I add about 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips and brown color. It's really yummy as well.

Someone else mentioned not to forget to strain the liquid. I didn't do that once and ruined the entire batch. It's also important to sift the powdered sugar and not to use too much. I stop adding sugar when I can stick my finger in the fondant as it's kneading and my finger leaves an imprint and no fondant sticks to my finger. I start checking after adding about 3 pounds.

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:02am
post #17 of 18

I made this fondant today for the first time...and I have to say, the taste is amazing! I used a combo flavor of butter, vanilla and almond and I couldn't leave it alone...it tasted so good...LOL. I was thinking how good it would be during the holidays just to mold and dip in chocolate!!! Tomorrow I am going to try it on a cake...can't wait to see how it handles...if it's half as easy to work with as it is tasty...I'm good!!! Thanks Michelle for sharing this with us...your the BOMB@@@ Linda

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #18 of 18

It is good isn't it? I love this recipe. thumbs_up.gif It IS as easy to work with as it is good. "Hands down" the BEST fondant I've ever used. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%