Help With A 4" Deep Pan

Decorating By carmen12 Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm by BlakesCakes

carmen12 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 4

I bought a 6, 8, and 12 all 4"deep round pans
Any suggestion on baking a scratch cake on this pans?
Please, I need your tips. Thanks

3 replies
denetteb Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 4

Wow, those are really tall pans. You should be able to use the Wilton chart that shows how much batter for the different size pans to calculate how much batter you will need. There charts are for 2 inch pans so you can convert from there. If you are trying to go for such a tall cake I would definitely use magic strips on the side of the pans, you will need a couple for each pan to cover most of the side. I don't think flower nails will be tall enough to reach out the top but might still help with the inside baking even if they get covered later during the baking. There are lots of threads that talk about torting to help with layering your tall cakes.

hollyml Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 4

I would probably use a recipe designed for a Bundt pan.

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 4

I would never bake a single, 4" tall layer in a cake pan. Bundt pans are designed with that big hole in the middle for a very good reason.

At the very minimum, you would need the large Wilton heating core in the middle of the pans in order to get nicely baked cakes. The little flower nails wouldn't work because they'd likely float in all that batter.

Plus, you'll still need to torte/fill these big layers, anyway, because if you don't, the ratio of cake to icing will be off.

I'd suggest baking 2" layers in the 4" pans, twice. I bake 2" layers in taller pans all of the time and I love the results. The layers are always nice and high and when I level them, I lose very little cake.

JMHO
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%