Full Sheet Cake?

Decorating By maude Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm by dchockeyguy

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 13

I have a request for a full sheet cake. Will 2 11x15 cakes work? If not what do you guys use? Thanks

12 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 13

To me, that's a full sheet.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 13

A full sheet is 18"x24"
A half sheet is 12"x18"
A quarter sheet is 9"x12"

The 11"x15" is an odd size, it's a little larger than a 1/3 of the size of the full sheet. I'm not sure how the 11"x15" size came about.

Anyway, most people don't know what the actual sizes of sheets are. People will order a "full" sheet and be expecting anything froma 9"x12" to an 18"x24"!

It's better to refer to the actual dimensions than to use the names.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 13

I use 2 - 12x18's as a full sheet. I consider the 11x15 as 1/3 sheet.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 13

Wow and I thought 12x18 was a full sheet. I am such a newbie, thanks for the information.

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 13

when you put the two together, how do you you keep them from seperating down the middle? Dumb question?

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 13

Use your speed icer and put a thick strip of icing on one side of one cake then put your other half next to it and push them gently together. You should see a little squish(is that even a word???) of icing come up from the "seem"...then your good to go ! Hope this helps...

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriO

when you put the two together, how do you you keep them from seperating down the middle? Dumb question?

Not a dumb ? at all. When I started making full cakes which I have since stopped doing (too much hassle), I had a problem with the middle seperating. What I began doing was making sure I used a really strong bottom board to prevent bending & when I ice the cakes I make sure to apply a nice thick amount of buttercream especially down the center. The strong board really makes a difference though. HTH.

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks, I have never tried this, I was alway too afraid it would come apart. Maybe I will get brave one day..

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 13

Be sure to ask the person how many people they need to feed....then check a serving chart for the needed size.

As someone said....the term "sheet cake" is VERY subjective. Especially if you are doing a one layer cake or two layer.

The number of servings needed is everything!

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:15am
post #11 of 13

Thanks for the clarifications. I can't seem to find a serving chart that gives me the servings for rectangular cakes though.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:25pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

To me, that's a full sheet.

There is no "to me" to it. We can't just CALL something a half or a full sheet. icon_biggrin.gif Here's a thread that has the "logic" of why cakes are called the sizes they are called: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628706-.html thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by maude

Thanks for the clarifications. I can't seem to find a serving chart that gives me the servings for rectangular cakes though.

The good news about square and rectangle cakes is you don't need a chart ... you can just "Do the Math!" to figure your servings. Here's a thread where I explain how to do that: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653932-math.html

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #13 of 13

Just one more reason I need a bigger oven then. I can't get anything bigger than my 11x15 pan in my current oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%