No Health Rules For Tv Stars?

Lounge By neecerator Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 2:08am by indydebi

neecerator Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 8

Hello friends: I just have to throw this out there for comments. (Please don't bash me, as I'm just stating my own observances on very popular TV shows.) I work holidays at a famous bakery and we have to wear an apron, a hairnet and gloves...all the time.

How is it that most cake shows I see on TV, wear jewelry which harbours huge amounts of bacteria, hair hanging down, nail polish half chipped off, and no gloves? It totally grosses me out. Would you want to eat a cake from a bakery that does this? Seriously? Even when I bake a cake or cookies at home, I wear gloves and tie my hair back at least. Let me know what you think.

7 replies
mpetty Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 8

From the posts I've read here on CC, the cakes made on TV competition shows have to be thrown out afterward because of those kinds of health code violations. Can't answer your questions in regard to Cake Boss.

edited to add: IKWYM about the hairnets. I used to work in a hospital kitchen and had to wear them. I have short hair but still think that, if I ever do cakes for sale, I'd wear a hair net or at least a baseball hat.

mamawrobin Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 8

I do understand what you're saying. I watched Cake Boss the other night and noticed that they mixed the filling with their bare hands. icon_eek.gif

We aren't required to wear gloves where I work, but I do. I cannot stand the "feel" of something sticky on my hands. I go thru about a box of 100 in a weeks time. A box of 100 cost me about $3.00 wholesale. I don't wear a hairnet but I do wear my (long) hair up and always have on an apron. icon_biggrin.gif

I do the same when I'm baking at home. thumbs_up.gif

kaat Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 8

I wear something on my hair. And I have mixed things with my (washed) hands as I was trained to do. I have also watched bakery workers with gloves touching "stuff" then using those same gloved hands to touch food. THAT grosses me out! It's like they think "I'm wearing gloves so I must be sanitary." So not true!

mkolmar Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 8

I wear my hair in a hairnet while at work and when I'm at home in a bun with a baseball cap. I wear a chef jacket that I take a lint roller to so I can get up any loose hairs. I take this off when I have to use the restroom. I leave it in the kitchen.
I wear gloves if the food is ready to eat or I have a cut or burn on my hand. I don't wear gloves all the time as they give people a false sense of security (same reason that kaat posted). However, once it's getting plated I always do. I constantly wash my hands though and under the fingernails.

CWR41 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #6 of 8

The "no gloves" part doesn't bother me, but the fingernail polish does. If you aren't going to remove the polish, then by all means, wear the gloves!!!!!

mkolmar Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #7 of 8

I haven't had fingernail polish on in years for that reason. I also don't wear jewelry in the kitchen.

indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:08am
post #8 of 8

The hotel I work at requires our breakfast crew to wear kitchen hats but doesn't require those of us on the evening meal to wear anything. I requested they provide me hairnets! (Some of my co-workers find me to be a pain the a$$. Seems they didn't have to follow so many 'rules' before I started working there! icon_rolleyes.gif )

I had a sign on my shop's restroom door that said "Remove Apron Before Entering!" and I kept hooks on the wall so my crew would have a place to hang the apron. Hubby and I love getting into conversation with folks and educating them on how aprons are NOT there to protect your clothes from food ... they are there to protect the food from your clothes! icon_biggrin.gif

I would have girls come into the shop to place an application. I'd point to their done-up artistic nails and ask, "Are you willing to cut those off to work here?" If yes, then I gave them an app.

Even tho' I no longer do any cooking/baking for money, I still keep a box of gloves in my kitchen. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%