Has Anyone Added Sliced Strawberries To A Gel Or Mousse?

Baking By sweettreat101 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to find the safest way to use fresh strawberries in a cake. I already made them use butter cream instead of whipped icing and said no to the angel food wedding cake. Can I fold fresh strawberries in a premade strawberry filling or into a vanilla mousse made out of instant pudding and whipping cream without a disaster? I am only using this on one tier even though he wants it on all three. Would you slice or chop strawberries when filling a cake. Thank you.

6 replies
izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 7

i use a filling that is jello white chocolate pudding made with 2 cups of heavy whipping cream. when it is set i make a dam of buttercream, fill with the white chocolate and slice fresh strawberries on top. everyone tells me that words cannot describe how good it is!

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 7

This is the same mousse recipe I use. Have you ever tried folding strawberries in the mousse? Did you have any troubles with the strawberries weeping? How soon did you fill and decorate your cake before the event? I wanted to decorate the cake tomorrow for the wedding on Saturday. Thank you.

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy1953

i use a filling that is jello white chocolate pudding made with 2 cups of heavy whipping cream. when it is set i make a dam of buttercream, fill with the white chocolate and slice fresh strawberries on top. everyone tells me that words cannot describe how good it is!

Ive done this same thing with a chocolate mousse. I just sliced them and layed them on top of the mousse. I didnt have any problems with it.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 7

I am not sure if your concern is whether or not you have to keep the cake in the fridge but I'm pretty sure you do. Any time I use fresh strawberries, they always weep a little and they are so sensitive to temp that you have to keep it in the fridge. If that's your concern then I wouldn't go with fresh fruit personally.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 7

I slice my strawberries with an egg slicer and then lay them on paper towels to soak up some of the wet. I've never had any problems with them.

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you. I already made them change what they originally wanted so I have to at least give them one thing they want. They wanted angel food I said no, they wanted whipped cream frosting I said no I can't say no to the filling too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%