I Need Purple Fondant

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm by DetailsByDawn

mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 12

I need different shades of purple fondant and I'm having an awful time getting there. I have tried Americolor Royal Purple and Violet gel colors and they just don't work. Can anyone tell me what colors I can mix to get to a really pretty purple or am I just not using enough gel color? This is for a bridal shower and I will be adding tylose to make gumpaste as well as using the straight fondant.

I've practiced using Wilton fondant because it is available locally, but I will probably make my own (I normally use Michele Foster's recipe) for the cake because it will be eaten.

Thanks!

11 replies
Thanksharla Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 12

Are you letting the fondant sit? The longer you let the fondant sit the darker the color will get.

mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 12

I am letting it sit, but I can't ever get a pretty purple.

Thanksharla Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 12

Hmmmm................I'm stumped. What if you used petal dust on the flowers after you make them?

jessielou Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 12

I just did a wedding cake last weekend and made a very deep purple. I used wilton violet, americolor electric purple and black. The color was gorgeous but I wouldnt recommend starting with white fondant. Thats what i did and by th time I had it as dark as i needed the fondant was completely ruined by the amount of coloring i had added

mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 12

I've thought about that too - just trying to get rid of the extra steps. The last cake just had purples that I thought were ugly. They thought the cake was beautiful so it was fine. icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielou

I wouldnt recommend starting with white fondant. Thats what i did and by th time I had it as dark as i needed the fondant was completely ruined by the amount of coloring i had added

If all I have is white fondant, would you color it a lighter shade then start with the purple? If I'm going to buy fondant, I could just buy purple ... if I had a source close enough for me to drive to. I don't have time to order, plus we are already on overnight shipping with 95+ temps in Texas. icon_sad.gif

maryisanangel Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 12

I use All In One Bake Shop in Austin.....it's not that close but I go there when I visit my daughter and I think I remember seeing purple fondant.

DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 12

I needed a giant batch of black to cover a BBQ. I thought I would add some black airbrush colour to my MMF while it was in the melted marshmallow stage. I now have a giant batch of purple fondant! Hmmmm......
The texture was great though - maybe you could start with that and then start adding your different shades of purple?

mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 12

DetailsByDawn, you used airbrush color? I don't have any - just gel but maybe I'll try it.

I needed black fondant for a wedding cake, so I added dutch process cocoa before the sugar, then used AmeriColor SuperBlack. It was true black fondant and tasted like tootsie rolls. icon_smile.gif

Dizzymaiden Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 12

If you mix red and blue food color you get purple...you can adjust until you get the right color.

Hope this helps.

DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

DetailsByDawn, you used airbrush color? I don't have any - just gel but maybe I'll try it.

I needed black fondant for a wedding cake, so I added dutch process cocoa before the sugar, then used AmeriColor SuperBlack. It was true black fondant and tasted like tootsie rolls. icon_smile.gif

LOL - it wasn't really a bright move on my part, and actually I was hoping for a charcoal grey, but I got neither and my Dad got a purple BBQ cake! I don't even have an airbrush, but I went to a local bakery shop and found a metallic finish airbrush colour - I thought it would be good for painting details. I should have started with chocolate fondant, but my cake was white and I thought the airbrush colour would work....... lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%