Kitchenaid 325 Watt Stand Mixer, Model #k5Sswh

Decorating By m0use Updated 28 Mar 2005 , 8:57pm by m0use

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 39

Kohls will be having the Kitchenaid Heavy Duty Stand Mixer on sale for 199.99 (regularly 299.99) soon. It's 325 watts with heavy duty transmission, model #K5SSWH. Does anyone have this model? And if they do, how does it handle mixing buttercream icing- especially double batches?
I have to convince my husband it would be ok for me to get this and why I need it. I almost burnt out my heavy duty hand mixer the other day making icing for a baby shower cake for work. Money is tight right now, and I would rather have a stand mixer over a sewing machine right now (even though I also want a sewing machine really bad, too icon_cry.gif ).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

38 replies
marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 39

I have one and it works beautifully for double batches of buttercream. In fact, I mix cookie dough in it as well (it comes with a dough hook). I love mine!

m0use Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 39

Thanks!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 39

I have had the 250 watt model for over 5 years now and it's great. I always mix cookie dough in it and I use the paddle attachment. No problems. So I'd assume the 325 watt model is even better. Good luck...I hope you get one!

m0use Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 39

icon_biggrin.gif ME TOO!!! icon_biggrin.gif

klh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klh Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 39

Oh I just received the 250 model last night from my hubby!! Empire red!!! It is so beautiful I hate to use it!! But he is bugging me for a cake! icon_biggrin.gif

I have always heard wonderful things about all Kitchen Aid products!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 39

i ordered the one seen on emeril live, the one that has the bowl move up and down. it's a 350wt. it think, but i can't remember because my mom still hasn't shipped it to me yet. icon_sad.gif she says it's too heavy for her to take to the post office, so she has to wait til' my dad can do it. whenever that will be! i want my mixer!! icon_cry.gif

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 39

I LOVE KITCHEN AID!!!!! I have the stand mixer, 4.5 quart, tilt head, and it works great! I also have a bunch of Kitchen Aid utensils, too many to list. I highly recommend the vegetable peeler, comfortable and sharp! I also have a blender and a toaster. OMG! I just realized I'm addicted Kitchen Aid, does anyone of a good Kitchen Aid support group? icon_lol.gif

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 27 Feb 2005 , 3:29am
post #9 of 39

Did you get it?? It's the best thing you could do...I got the same one on sale at Bloomindales last year... I've made up to 3 batches of btc in it...No complaints ;-0) and also 2 cake batters that make 4 8x2 and 2 6x2 icon_wink.gif

m0use Posted 27 Feb 2005 , 4:37am
post #10 of 39

Not yet...it does not go on sale until March 3rd, and then the price is only good until March 8th.....ohh I hope I get it. I burned out my 225 watt hand mixer icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif (which was the more powerful of the two that I had) with the last batch of icing and I know I have at least 1 cake that I will be doing in about a month for a large bridal shower that I am hosting at my house.
****Also if you use your kohls charge, you have a chance to save an extra 15%, 25% or 30% off, another reason why I want to get it icon_wink.gif

m0use Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 39

Well, it looks like my husband is not going to let me get this icon_cry.gif Not enough money in the budget icon_cry.gif

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 39

So sorry to hear you're not getting the mixer right now. You must be really bummed icon_sad.gif I burned up a few mixers before I got my kitchen aid and my husband decided it was more cost effective to put the money out for the good one. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll get one, one way or another. Used ones are a good idea too. I have a used one from ebay that works great.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 5:21am
post #13 of 39

m0use......... SELL YOUR TREADMILL!!!!!! (if you have one) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's what I did to get my kitchen aid!!! I sold my treadmill for $125 & brought back a hamilton beach mixer (that I'd just bought a week earlier that had burned up) to be able to get my kitchen aid!!!!!! I'm so happy I did!!!! So sell something that is collecting dust (like my treadmill was icon_rolleyes.gif ) around the house! I say if it's collecting dust then you don't need it anyway! I hope you get your mixer sooner then later!!!!

m0use Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 5:54pm
post #14 of 39

tcturteshell- I wish I had something like that to sell, but after moving almost 20 times in my lifetime, I tend not to keep large items that I will not use.
kate- I am bummed. icon_sad.gif
icon_eek.gif Now here's the kicker- my husband is actually still out on this decision- he needs reasons as to why I should get the mixer icon_confused.gif (I thought I explained this one to him already) But he also wants to know what would be the difference in maybe getting the next model up
Here's a quote from an email to me at work: "If you were to buy the mixer up from the one you are looking at could you capitalize on it? or if you were to get the one you were looking at what whould be the your limiting factors..." (Excuse the wording, he's not always good at his English icon_rolleyes.gif )
So I really need help on this one detective.gif , because he wants an answer tonight when I get home tonight. I think I need more answers on the second question than on the first, but I will take anything I can get right now.
To be quite honest, I don't see myself ever doing cakes full time, so I do not think I would need the top of the line Kitchenaid stand mixer. Besides if I were ever to be doing it full time, I would have a certified kitchen with a really BIG mixer- like the ones you would see in a bakery.

kate Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:11pm
post #15 of 39

I have had an artisan model kitchen aid for almost twenty years and made so many wedding cakes with it. Now I have the model up from that with the stationary head and bigger bowl. I can do cakes faster with the bigger one because I can do three cake mixes in it and make larger batches of buttercream. I did just fine with the smaller one and I think you'd be very happy with it. I see in your profile that you've done at least one wedding cake. If you get paid for a couple of wedding cakes then that would pay for your mixer and then after that you would be making money off that mixer. You will probably never have to buy another mixer. That's money saved too. I do cookie dough in mine all the time as well as fondant, just to show you how they hold up. They can be repaired too, I had my Mom's reconditioned and it's still doing great. Hope that helps you convince hubby icon_biggrin.gif

m0use Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 39

Thanks kate. Before I leave from work tonight I plan on printing out this thread so that I can use it to explain my want.

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 39

I purchased that same mixer in November for my Christmas gift. At the same price!!! If you can't purchase it now...it will go on sale again. I also purchased it at Kohls and I got $10.00 gift check with every $50.00 I spent. So if you can wait...do. I really paid $150.00 after the gift checks I got.

Are you sure he just isn't saying that so he can surprise you!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

m0use Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:27pm
post #18 of 39

That would be nice if it was a surprise.
I figured after the 30% extra discount and my employee discount, and even if I purchase it online- I would be paying less than $150 icon_surprised.gif

kate Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:46pm
post #19 of 39

That would be a great deal mouse! I think my hubby paid $180.00 for my first kitchen aid almost twenty years ago!

tcturtleshell Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 8:42pm
post #20 of 39

m0use,

Just bat your eyes at him!! icon_rolleyes.gif Have him a nice meal ready when he gets home! Explain to him how important it is to you! Add that it will pay for itself sooner or later!

I have burned up one mixer & my hubby wasn't happy w/ me when I did it but he understood about the different consistency of types of cakes, icings etc. You can't make royal icing or color flow w/ a regular mixer/hand mixer & expect it to hold up. It's just too thick. I haven't made any other stuff so I don't know how thick they are.

This is my 2 cents... I will buy it if I want it!! If your not starving your kids, wasting your money on other things you don't need, not taking care of your duties in your marriage (whatever they might be like cleaning, cooking, working outside the home etc..) then I would get one. If you are doing your end of the marriage then buy it!!! If it's not going to put you in financial (did I spell that right? icon_redface.gif ) a bind. If your not using money that is supposed to go somewhere else then buy it! Your husband doesn't need a reason! I do think both partners should agree on a subject but come on... you put 100% into this marriage you deserve something that you want. This mixer will benefit you & your baking!!! Go for it!!

If I sound mean I'm sorry!! Didn't want to come across as mean. I just feel you deserve it!! GOOD LUCK!! thumbs_up.gif I'll talk to him if you want me too!! icon_lol.gif Give him an attitude adjustment like I give my hubby!! icon_surprised.gif

m0use Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 9:02pm
post #21 of 39

Thanks tcturtleshell- don't worry I am not offended by your opinion.

m0use Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 12:15am
post #22 of 39

MEN!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif They are so fickle sometimes!
After telling my husband how much we are saving- I failed to mention the regular price on the machine when I first gave him numbers- he is now thinking that maybe we will get the mixer. I am soooo icon_confused.gif I told him that we are saving almost 150.00 off of the regular price to buy it right now.
So maybe, just maybe I will get it after all icon_biggrin.gif

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 1:46am
post #23 of 39

m0use
Take advantage of Kohl's offer, it's an excellent investment and you won't regret it. Beg and cry... beg and cry... beg and cry... beg and cry.....and finally you will get it!! :O)

tcturtleshell Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 2:13am
post #24 of 39

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you m0use!!!!!!!!!!! Hubby will come to his senses!!!!!!!

m0use Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 3:21pm
post #25 of 39

WHOO HOOOO!!!!!!!! I CAN GET MY STAND MIXER!!!!!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE ON CAKE CENTRAL FOR YOUR HELP!!!
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I did promise my husband that I would make some money off of my cakes now. So now I have to start spreading around some word of mouth. icon_wink.gif
I'm so happy I got shivers and a couple of tears of joy when my husband said yes. And I told him thank you very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, much; and that I love, love, love, love him. I almost jumped up and down with joy- but since I am at work, I did not feel like getting weird looks from my coworkers. icon_wink.gif
Now I need to hurry up and order it before he changes his mind icon_biggrin.gif

m0use Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 4:09pm
post #26 of 39

Got it ordered from kohls.com and I should get it no later than March 14th-just in time for the bridal shower cake that I have to do at the end of the month icon_biggrin.gif

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 5:12pm
post #27 of 39

BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kate Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 6:34pm
post #28 of 39

Oh I'm soooo happy for you!!!!!!!! Make sure you tell him every time you use it how wonderful it is, at least for awhile. Helps with future purchases. icon_wink.gif
You'll be making money off that mixer in no time! Yahoo for you!!!! thumbs_up.gif

m0use Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 6:39pm
post #29 of 39

Thanks kate- I will keep your suggestion in mind. I cant' wait to get my mixer and "break" it in. I want to try and make a cake that has that frosting that is a cool whip consistency.

tcturtleshell Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 11:24pm
post #30 of 39

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU m0use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! party.gifbirthday.gif Everyytime I get on cakecentral I have been hoping to read a post that you got your mixer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy that it finally happened!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now your cooking!!!!!!!!!! Now maybe your hubby will understand how important doing the cakes is to you! I'm so happy for you that I want to jump up & down!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I can't because I have a cold icon_cry.gif my head might fall off LOL!! I can't wait to see your first cake made from your new mixer!!!!!! icon_smile.gifbirthday.gifparty.gif Way to go!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%