Stacking Off Center Round Cakes- 4 'tier' And A Mold Q.

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 3:02am by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, I decided to venture into round stacked cakes.

I have 4 pans, a 12, 10, 8 and 6. I am going to make one of each, and just stack them on top of each other.

I have some regular straws, will that work since I cant get bubble tea straws?

I have a fondant person that I want to 'sit' on the edge of a teir. but to do so, I'd have to push all the tiers to the back.
meaning, instead of being centered one on top of the other, they would all match up on the backside, creating more of a stair case. I know I've seen this done, but how hard is it to transport? or is it recomended? or am I wrong that I have seen it done? LOL

this is for a friends BD, not a client or anything, but I would like it to be nice.

so is that possible? and I have cake board or foam board, which would be best for under each cake 'layer'? I am not going to tort and fill, I'm just using each 3 inch round as its own 'layer'.

make sense?? icon_smile.gif

** mold questions**
I bought some soap molds, gonna put fondant in them or fondant/gumpaste, do I need to spray with pam or bakers joy first?

7 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 8

noone has ever done this? oh well, guess I will live and learn

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 8

It HAS been done...........talk to Kitagrl (I'm almost positive it was her)she did one like this!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 8

Regular straws will not work as well because they are less sturdy.

Transport isn't any harder when tiers are stacked to the back.

I'm not sure about cake boards, but I would think one regular one would work as long as the bottom one was foam board.

There are several opinions about molds. Spray, powdered sugar, nothing but let it harden a bit, and freeze for a bit are the options I've seen.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 8

It should be just like a center stacked cake....be sure to use a good support system for each layer. Are you stacking 2 of each cakes or just one 2" cake of each size....none the less....support good. Regular straws....?????? not for support of that many layers. You can use either cake boards or foam board...you done have to cut the cake boards....the foam board you do...

If you have the time wilton has the plates and pillers....you can cut the pillers to size ( I have a miter box and separate saw just for that purpose) and it make a great support system. Hope this helps.

chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 8

Thank y'all! icon_smile.gif

okay, so I reckon I will have to do dowells. I'm just going to do the single pan of cake, not gonna do two pans of cake and stack. basicly I baked 4 pans of cake, and gonna throw them together. icon_smile.gif

Its a last minute thing, I have cake boards I can cut- so, I'm good there. I might keep them apart since I'm covering in Fondant until I drop it at her house. that might be best.

wonder if I should call my MIL and ask her to steal some McDonalds straws for me today while she is in town?? ROFLMAO!

like I said, its for a friend, so if it bombs, I just know not to do it again. LOL

I was supposed to start working on this cake 2 days ago, but a dear friend died and I had to make a cake for a benefit auction for her, so I had to stop everything and work on that.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 8

Sorry about your dear friend...........

Keeping them apart till you deliver might be a good option since you are stacking with straws......just make sure you have enough, especially on the bottom tier to support the weight... should be fine......good luck and post a picture.

chellescountrycakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #8 of 8

thanks icon_smile.gif she had a pulinary embolism... (?) it was heartbreaking.
But, my cake did raise 300.00 for her. and I am proud of that. and the cake was then given to her kids.

And thanks for the advice. I have some wilton dowells that I can use. and I tend to over worry on falling, I hope I dont put too many in. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%