A First-Timer At Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By Reesy Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 12:47pm by Tor1985

Reesy Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 6

Im making gumpaste magnolias and calla lilies for the first time, and I really need help on where to start first and what tools I need to buy.....I hope my baking family can help me out...PLEASE!!!

5 replies
Sucrea Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 6

I bought wiltons gumpaste flower kit. It is ok. I am sure there are better out there. I am limited as I live in a small town and needed it right away. I would check out youtube and the tutorials here. They have been a great help to me.

Peanut1027 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure about the magnolias but I have made calla lilies. For the lilies you will need to get a heart shape cookie cutter. Walmart sells them cheap along with Michaels or AC Moore. Buy a pack that has different sizes.
!) Take florist wire and cover with the florist tape. Make a hook at the end of the wire.
2) get yellow gumpaste and make a a cone shape. Measure against the heart cuuter the size. (What your going to do is wrap the rounded part of the heart around the cone. The tip of the heart will be the top).
3 wet the wire with a little gumpaste disolved in water.Insert wire into the fat part of the cone. Let dry
4 I'm not sure if you have a ball tool, in which once you cut the heart you need to thin the edges to make it more realistic.
5 Wet the rounded part of the heart and wrap it around the cone. shape the flower and let dry.

Also, Edna has some great tutorial on u-tube that you can check out. Good Luck

PTBUGZY1 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 6

toneda has a great you tube video for calla lillies, not sure if she has one for magnolias thou HTH

Maria925 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:52am
post #5 of 6

I happened to be looking at the "Flower Tutorial" topic in the "How To" Forum (it's a sticky). Here is a Magnolia tutorial that's posted there...

I've never tried it, but I hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Tor1985 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 6

I also live in a small town so I bought the wiltons student kit course 3. It comes with a balling tool - plastic - , two foam pieces and some flowers cutters. I've never made a magnolia but Edna has a nice tutorial on making cally lilies using a heart shaped cutter.

I'm new to this aswell but if I need to know something I go to youtube, google and CC. What did people do before the internet?? LOL

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%