Cookie Pricing

Baking By Briniga Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm by Alexsmommee

Briniga Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 15

Hello,

How much should I charge for 200 cookies, shaped like a tiara? I've never been asked that question before, lol

Thanks

14 replies
verono Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 15

What the size? How much detailling?

luv2bake6 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 15

It's been recommended to charge $1 per inch of cookie and then if there is more detailing, or packaging, to add more. The truth is you really need to get an idea of what will fly in your area. Some here can charge as much as $5 a cookie while other can only get $2 per cookie.

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

It's been recommended to charge $1 per inch of cookie and then if there is more detailing, or packaging, to add more. The truth is you really need to get an idea of what will fly in your area. Some here can charge as much as $5 a cookie while other can only get $2 per cookie.

I'm in the $2 crowd! And even then, they look at you like you're stealing them blind! (And that's just my MIL....)

KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 15

I'm in the process of filling an order for 200 square scalloped edged cookies flooded with a monogram and they are about 3" squares. I quoted $1.50 each, which includes a cello bag, a paper tag, and self adhesive label with message. The bride had to "think about it" for 2 months before committing because she thought it was "just too much to pay for a cookie!"

I'm guessing in the 2 months she looked around and realized she wasn't getting them any cheaper! lol

impala Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 15

WOW Khalstead you gave her a huge deal. For that price I would say just the cookie. It is so true people will look at you like you are trying to rip them off.

luv2bake6 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 15

GeminiRJ, i am too and i also get the silence on the other end of the line, or the wide eyes in person.
Khalstead, i can't believe that bride had to think about it; a beatiful custom cookie, packaged, and everything else for $1.50???? She should've grabbed it right then and there.

Briniga Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #8 of 15

Its a simple cookie, i would be using the crown cookie cutter & filling it in, with small details. Its for a quinceanera. Do you think $300 is a good price?

luv2bake6 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #9 of 15

Seems cheap for 200 cookies. I'd go with $400 to make sure you get at least $2 each.

leily Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Seems cheap for 200 cookies. I'd go with $400 to make sure you get at least $2 each.

I agree, $200 sounds cheap.

What size cookie cutter are you using? My guess is 2" or larger, so my MINIMUM price would be $400.

Are you packaging these individually? (not sure since it's for such a large celebration) if so I would charge an additional $.75 - $1 per cookie to cover material and labor.

Briniga Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #11 of 15

Its like 4" i believe. Im sure I will be packaging them individually. Ok thanks everone icon_smile.gif

leily Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:46am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briniga

Its like 4" i believe. Im sure I will be packaging them individually. Ok thanks everone icon_smile.gif

oh a 4" cutter. Then my price would be $4/cookie then add on packaging.

leily Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:54am
post #13 of 15

just wanted to say, being in Houston it shouldn't be a problem asking $4/cookie. Cookies by Design individual decorated cookies start at $7.25 and their cookies are usually in the 4-5" range. So if they don't like your price, send them to Cookies By Design and see how quickly they come back icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 15

You're lucky you can charge that leily. People in my area would not pay that. And, we don't have a CBD here, but there is a large business that sells decorated cookies for less than $2 a piece and i need to compete with them since people here order frequently from them. It totally sucks.

Alexsmommee Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 15

Ok guys I have a good question. I make cakes and have been wanting to add cookies to the business so the customer can buy a party cake and coordinating cookie favors. What I want to know, with the prices you are quoting, are you making any money - the time required (labor/payroll) seems extensive, materials/supplies, overhead, and a possible profit margin for your business?? Or are you really just breaking even or even losing money? I want to put myself on the payroll at more than minimum wage, but also have a small profit for my business. I have done a lot of cakes recently and been enlightened by my hubby that I am paying myself about $2/hour with obviously no business profit. I might as well go get a "real job" (as DH puts it) anywhere for as little as I have been paying myself.
Of course I know all too well that people aren't neccessarily willing to pay $5/cookie as I have seen that example with cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%