Two Layer Fondant Cake

Baking By snickers34 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm by snickers34

snickers34 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 6

hi can anyone help me please. When decorating I was told to put buttercream between the cakes before stacking to make sure the cakes don't move. Problem is the cakes end up being gooey in between the two cakes. Do everyone have the same problem or is that the way its suppose to be?

5 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 6

All you need is a small amount of icing (BC or RI) in the center to glue to next cake in place, just drop a bit on and don't spread it out.

snickers34 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 6

thanks so much for your help icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 6

I don't "glue" my tiers at all. Actually I use a piece of wax paper between my cake and the tier that it sits on to keep it from sticking. icon_confused.gif

I use a center dowel (wooden bbq skewer) that "nails" my cakes to the base. I never have a problem with slipping and my cakes are "clean" when taken apart for cutting.

Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 6

Are you talking about stacking layers or tiers? A tier is usually made up of two or three layers and in many cakes, the upper tiers are smaller in diameter than the lower ones. If you're talking about tiers, mamawrobin's answer is the best one I've heard. If you're talking about the buttercream being squishy between two layers in the same tier, then you probably need to make your buttercream thicker (by adding more powdered sugar). I've never had this problem when putting two layers together with buttercream, but I make my buttercream fairly thick (think mortar!).

snickers34 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry i meant tiers, thanks for the input icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%