Cupcake Towers

Decorating By cncsmom45 Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 3:07am by sugarspice

cncsmom45 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 14

Do you make your own tower out of boards and cake dummies or do you buy? If you buy, where do you go? How much to charge? I've never done one, so I need all pointers you can give. Thanks!

13 replies
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 14

I have no idea where to buy one, but many people make their own. In fact, a couple of years ago there was quite a long thread about how to do that on here and it had several photos of some of the ones people made. Maybe you could do a search for it or, even better, maybe someone remembers what it was called.

Brendabeeper Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 14

My DH and myself made mine. we cut out fom wood the sizes we wanted, sanded them spray painted and sealed them. We glued pieces of painted pvc between them ( using connector pvc pieces) I love it but for the time and expense you are going to spend almost the amount that you can buy one for off ebay photo attached
LL

donnella2045 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 14

I recently received my stackable cupcake tower and love it. I ordered it from Logicpic and am very happy. It can be made larger or smaller for your cupcake orders. It also comes with a board for a top cake or a cupcake - very sturday and versatile.

PattyT Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 14

Here's the cupcake tower thread from a while back. Lots of info and ideas.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-631237-0.html

Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks, PattyT, it was great looking over all those ideas again!

Jenniferkay Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 14

I'm in the process of building on right now....it's a PITA. I wished I had just bought one. My DH and my mom thought we could build it real easy. Guess who's doing all the work! MEEEEEE!!! I wanted to order from thecupcaketower. Well, back to painting

KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 14

Here is one I did, I'll attach the directions as well! The best part about this stand is it's not permanent, it can be taken apart and used with only 2 tiers, 3 tiers, 4 tiers, etc. Very versatile..........I also have differing heights for the center columns so if I have a tall cupcake or a big topper on them I have room for adjustments.

I bought MDF wood (medium density fiberboard) you could use plywood or anything else you wanted to use. MDF is very heavy, I bought 1/2" thick, but again any thickness you want is fine (I got 1/2" thick so I could use ribbon around the edges). I used my cardboard cake boards as a template to trace an outline onto the wood. Then using a jigsaw, I cut them all out, cutting just on the outside of my outline.

Once they were all cut out I used an electric sander to sand the edges up to my outline, making sure they were nice and smooth and that the whole thing was evenly round.
Then I used a drill and drilled a hole into the center of each round I had cut out (the hole needs to be just slightly bigger than the size of your center rod, my center rod was 3/8").

Then I bought a length of dowel that was 2" in diameter (I think it was a 2 or 3 ft. section), and cut it into 4" length and some into 6" length (for when I need more space between the layers of the stand). i drilled a hold through the center of each of the sections of dowel (it's easiest if you start on one end and drill a hole to the center, then flip it over and drill from the other side to the center, until your holes meet), the hole doesn't have to be "perfect" but you should attempt to make it at straight as possible, you can adjust the dowels before tightening the stand if they're not perfectly straight.

I bought a 3/8" nut for the bottom of the stand and a 3/8" t-nut for the top of the stand (this is a nut that has a flat top with three teeth that you pound the nut down into the hole and the teeth grab into the wood making it a permanent fixture with the wood, since my top is almost always the 6" board I just put the t-nut into that board and it allows a cake to be placed on top without interfering).

Then it was just a matter of screwing the center threaded metal rod (mine was 3/8" in diameter) into the bottom tier of the stand with the regular nut going underneath the bottom board (the nut will still stick out so I cut an extra 8" round and cut a large hole in the center to use as "feet" for my stand to sit on to alleviate the fact that the nut sticks out of the bottom, or you could just glue on some permanent feet, but I wanted to be able to change up what size the bottom layer would be depending on the numer of cupcakes i was using the stand for.)

Then just slide on one of your dowels onto the metal rod, then slide down the next sized board, another dowel, etc. until you've reached the desired height of your stand. Once you have the top board on (you'll have to thread it down because of the t-nut) and everything is nice and tight, then take a marker and mark the top of the top tier on the metal rod (there is no measurements for the metal rod because it all depends on how thick your wood is and how tall you make your dowels)...then remove the boards and dowel and cut the metal rod with a hacksaw a couple threads below your mark. You don't want the metal rod to stick up but you want enough that it can screw into your t-nut on top.

Then you can prime and paint the stand, I use spray paint and spray primer, for paint I use a semi-gloss so it's easy to wipe clean once it's been used. It's best to do several coats so if you get a scratch on the stand it won't show as much. In order to attach the ribbon to the edges (double sided tape won't stick to mdf) I use a hot glue gun, or extra strength glue dots for a more shear ribbon (note, when I use a sheer ribbon, I put a white satin ribbon on first, then the sheer ribbon because the edge of the mdf board doesn't take the paint as well as the rest of it)

Hopefully these instructions are clear enough, if you have any questions feel free to pm me or email.

Good Luck,
Tina
LL

cncsmom45 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you all so much!

Marianna46 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 14

Tina, that's one beautiful cake stand, not to mention the gorgeous cupcakes and top cake! So, besides being a cake artist extraordinaire you are also the queen of power tools. I bow before your expertise. My only desire in life is to emulate you in everything!

d925marie Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #11 of 14

I actually just made one. I used styrofaom plates. And Foam columns. I hot glued the columns to the plates, then hammered a wooden dowel down the center. I dont intend for them to hold more than a dozen or so, so I didn't make it very big.

I left the flat surface of the plates and the edges uncovered. That way, i can change the design based on what the event is.

The order that i have this weekend, I charged a small fee to customize the tower, and a $20 deposit. That's about what it cost for me to make it.

sugarspice Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:34am
post #12 of 14

I did a search and found the logicpic webstie, but it will not open.
Would you mind posting the link??? Thanks!!

adonisthegreek1 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:05am
post #13 of 14

These look great and seem to be the same as I have seen on a cupcake display in my local bakery. http://www.weddingfads.com/cupcakestand.aspx

Don't make the mistake that I did and order from efavormart.com. There's was a complete waste of my money...a cheaply made in China piece of junk and they want me to pay postage to return in after I already paid postage the first time around.

sugarspice Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #14 of 14

Ok....that link says it is expired!!??? Anyone else having trouble??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%