New Twist On An Old Scam...

Business By QueenOfSweets Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm by leah_s

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 17

I got an email today that is most definitely a scam, but the wording and request are different than others I've seen. Just thought I'd pass it on in case others who haven't seen it get it as well.

"*Hello I will like to speak with the owner and i will order for a Square wedding cakes with in cream butter that can serve 300 and i want it decorate in fresh flower and its for my son wedding,It will be pick up by a private shipping company from your shop on the on 12th of this month,Around 12:30pm noon,Am ready to pay payment right now with my credit card,So can you make it for me on that date q so let me know how much that is going to cost me Asap .*"

I wish I had as much time on my hands as these scammers do....

16 replies
Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 17

I just got the same email this morrning.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 17

what's the scam? do they pay with a stolen credit card and you don't find out until after you've made the cake?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 17

They eventually work it to the point where you are paying the huge shipping cost to the "private shipping company" (they tell you to include that cost in your bill, which they pay with a stolen credit card.) The private shipping company is really a friend of theirs with a truck that takes your cake and your money.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 17

oh, I see. Sometimes I can't believe the lengths people will go to to steal from other people. Unbelievable!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 17

I literally get an email every single day from someone stating their from Africa or somewhere overseas wanting to set up a bank account or something to that effect and want to pay me a large sum of money to do so. Yesterdays email was an ATM card and wanted me to send them my name, address, phone number and a copy of my drivers license. I had another one today that I didnt even read.
For every person that deletes it Im sure that there is someone out there that believes them and does it.
I had heard on the news that there was a couple of arrests for some of the people doing this last year. Ofcourse since I continue to get them daily that they obviously havent caught the right people.
All I can say is to always watch your back. Dont give out information that can cause identity theft. If someone is claiming a third party shipping is coming to retrieve the cake and they want you to include it in your price the red light in your head should go off!

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 17

I was searching for houses on Craigslist and replied to about 5 people and sure enough 2 of them were definitely scammers, I couldn't tell by the add but when they emailed me back... grrr so frustrating!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 17

I just think that whole thing is ridiculous. If we can find these people so easily why cant someone put a stop to it? I guess its not a priority until someone important gets scammed and then ofcourse they will be all over it!
Its just a shame that people have to act that way and just cant get along. I would make this world so much better.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #9 of 17

What? You mean I didn't actually win lotteries from 5 different countries today icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

But I had such big plans for the money and everything! icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

cplfernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cplfernandez Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 17

If you want to see these scammers getting their own medicine, go to scambaiters.com

These are people who basically scam the scammers back. sometimes just to waste their time, and sometimes they accept the "bad check" from the scammers and then ship them junk that weighs a whole lot that the scammer has to pay DHL for in cash(to the tune of $1000's) It's a great stress relief to watch these good guys get them!!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 17

I never thought people fell for these things, but I was watching the TV show Intervention, and there was one person on there who did. And through his drug-addled brain, he wasn't thinking clearly and kept giving them money.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 17

I know someone that fell for one of these scams (not cake related though) one of the.......my child is in an orphanage and I need $$$$$ to get her out. This woman met the "scammer" on a Christian chat board!!

To the OP I got the EXACT same scam yesterday, by a guy names "Sam Mat"

anytime someone tells ME when and where.....I will make THEM a cake, I assume it's a scam.........and if it's not a scam...........they're not getting a response from me either LOL

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 17

KHalstead - Yep, that's the same name I got on mine! I agree with you about not responding. All they get is big DELETE!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 17

Why don't these people just get a REAL job?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 17

Here's one I got today. From "Miky Fare", To: undisclosed recipients (this is always a red flag) Subj: Cake Decorating Classes.

Hello,
How are you doing today ? My name is Miky Fare I want to book for Cake Decorating Classes with you while on a 2weeks holidays in your country.We are a group of 10 people seeking for Cake Decorating training while on holidays and as part of our plans we need Cake Decorating classes/private lessons.

We shall be needing a Cake Decorating classes for the whole 3weeks in your area.
I would like to book for 2weeks classes for 3 hours each day Monday to Saturday (morning hours) for a group of 10. We are asking for 3 hours per day for 3 weeks - Monday - Saturday. A total of 36 hrs
Do you have a training facility where you conduct classes? We can arrange for this,if not available. Do you have rooms or is there any hotel close to your facility?
DATE:21THJUNE2010 TO 9JULY2010
I would love to know the possibility of working with you during this period.Kindly get back to me with your proposals so that we can make booking asap.
The group would be performing for a group of family members over there. I would love to get the total cost or a quote/estimate. What are your payment options? Do you accept credit cards? I would be grateful if you will be willing to do the work to teach quality classes and make us happy
Regards
MIKY FARE

Just putting this out there so hopefuly someone else will find it if they hear from dear old Miky Fare. It's a scam. Don't reply.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 17

Yeah Kelley I got that one too, Got one similar about 6 years ago. It is definitely a scam!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 17

2 weeks? 3 weeks? Darn, I got whiplash reading that mess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%