Will This Colour Combo Work For This Cake?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm by cherrycakes

cherrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 16

The wedding colours are purple and yellow and I am thinking of suggesting this design to the bride as a possibility. It's both the B & G's second marriage so I think we can go with something more fun/whimsical rather than traditional. I really love the green on this cake and I'm wondering if that's why I love this cake so much? Do you think it would look as nice if it was done with a buttercup yellow base and purple flowers?
Thanks for any suggestions/tips!!
LL

15 replies
TJCanadian Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 16

I think that would look great with yellow/purple. Those are great colors to combine on a cake.

cakesbymark Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 16

without a doubt it would look great..

KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 16

absolutely, and that's a fabulous cake!!

The purple must be a big thing right now........i've got a bride who's color (just 1 color lol) is dark purple and another who's doing dark purple and bright orange! Fun fun fun!

cherrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 16

Okay, I'm excited now!! I just hope the bride goes along with it! Thanks everyone!!

Oh, one thing. Would I do the brush embroidery directly on the cake with BC or could I do the flowers with royal icing on parchment and just place them on the cake?

tesso Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 16

I think it would look great, but if she doesnt go for that .. how about purple cake with yellow flowers? icon_biggrin.gif

edited to add: i would do the brush embrod right on the cake

Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 16

I agree with you that the lime color in that cake is wonderful, but I think the color scheme you want would be great, too. You should probably do the brush embroidery directly on the cake, because the RI could get so thin with the brush strokes that it would be hard to transfer a brushed flower to the cake in one piece. I'm sure your cake will be gorgeous - hope the bride goes for it.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 16

Purple and yellow - beautiful. Think irises.

Because of the intense color for purple, I would really consider doing the RI flowers and placing on the cake. It would decrease chances of bleeding color.

cherrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Purple and yellow - beautiful. Think irises.

Because of the intense color for purple, I would really consider doing the RI flowers and placing on the cake. It would decrease chances of bleeding color.

I hadn't thought about that issue yet so thanks for reminding me of that possibility! I have lots of time so I'll probably try both ways to see which works better for me. The inner teardrop shape looks so clean in the brushed flowers that I may prefer to try doing them off the cake so I can be more precise.

Oh, here's another question!! Do you think the flowers are roses or peonies? I'm leaning more towards peonies so does anyone have a link to a tutorial for them? Thanks!!

Bluehue Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 16

Gorgeous cake.
It would look stunning in Purple & Yellow.

Here you go - a tutorial.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-651611-tutorial.html

Bluehue.

cherrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:09pm
post #11 of 16

Awesome! Thanks Bluehue!!

Bluehue Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Awesome! Thanks Bluehue!!

Your welcome.

There must be something in the air of late - so many of my upcoming orders (and ones already made from this year) are purple. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I am looking forward to doing a *green* cake - lolll

Bluehue.

Thanksharla Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #13 of 16

Purple and yellow petunias would look great as well!

cherrycakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #14 of 16

Rather than starting a new post I am going to get this one going again! The bride loves this cake so we're going to go with this design. I really thought it would be pretty with a buttercup yellow base and purple flowers/swirls. However, now the bride is thinking of a white base with yellow swirls and purple flowers. I'm having a hard time visualizing it - would it still look okay? Should I try to convince the bride to go with the yellow base (although I know she's having a purple wedding - there will only be a few small yellow accents in her flowers ). If I go with the white base should the small flowers on the cake be yellow or purple? I'll be making the large flowers out of gumpaste and dusting them to make them very dark purple.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:40am
post #15 of 16

If it was me, I would sketch it a couple of different ways and show them all to the bride. You'd be surprised what a couple of pencils and a few sheets of paper will tell you. One of the color schemes will really catch her eye and you'll know.

Personally, I was thinking butter yellow with purple and yellow flowers and white accents. But, it's the brides day!

cherrycakes Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

If it was me, I would sketch it a couple of different ways and show them all to the bride. You'd be surprised what a couple of pencils and a few sheets of paper will tell you. One of the color schemes will really catch her eye and you'll know.

Personally, I was thinking butter yellow with purple and yellow flowers and white accents. But, it's the brides day!

That's a great idea!! The bride is pretty easy going so she'll probably go with whatever I recommend but I still want to respect her tastes as much as possible!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%