Fondant Help !

Decorating By VickiG Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm by Tor1985

VickiG Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:27am
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to cover a cake in fondant and cannot get it to adhere to the buttercream... can someone help ! I've got 5 cakes to do today for a wedding tomorrow and this is a disaster !

Thanks in advance !

5 replies
MommaDukes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:30am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiG

I'm trying to cover a cake in fondant and cannot get it to adhere to the buttercream... can someone help ! I've got 5 cakes to do today for a wedding tomorrow and this is a disaster !

Thanks in advance !

Brush your cakes with a little bit of clear vanilla flavoring, this is what we were taught in the Wilton class, but I am sure these ladies that are the pros have more input than me.

dsilvest Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:41am
post #3 of 6

Spritz a little water over top of the buttercream to moisten it and then apply fondant.

VickiG Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:51am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the quick replies !!! Will certainly try on the next cake.

mamawrobin Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 6

I use a pastry brush to "paint" a fine layer of "glue" (simple syrup) on my prepared cake. This method works like a charm. Planet Cake has a video on youtube "How to cover a cake with fondant" which was very helpful to me. I use this method for ganache or crusting buttercream.

Tor1985 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 6

I roll out my fondant onto a rolling pin first, put plastic wrap over it and then buttercream my cake then place the fondant on and smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%