Sesame Street Cupcakes

Baking By Pickulz Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm by fishabel

Pickulz Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:04am
post #1 of 12

Ive seen such adorable sesame street cupcakes on this site..and had a couple quesitons...(newbie here)

-I see you can use the grass tip (233?) for the fur for elmo, cookie monster and oscar i guess. But do you cover the entire cupcake in that icing and then add the eyes, mouth and nose? Or do you first pipe the facial features and put the grass tip around it.

Also, im not too good with icing bc on top of i was thinking maybe i can make the eyes, mouth with fondant? Would that look ok?

Any other suggestions for the face?

11 replies
fishabel Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:59am
post #2 of 12

I've done these both ways. With buttercream and with fondant. With Elmo I did the eyes(big so they bulge) and mouth first with the buttercream ones and then filled it in with the red fur. I did the nose last on elmo so it sat out a little bit. With the fondant ones I did the red first and then did the eyes, nose and mouth on top. Then I thought I'd try something else the next time and used an extruder with fondant and made the fur like little bits at a time and stuck them on. Good Luck

njoycakes Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:27am
post #3 of 12

For the cookie monster I don't use a piping bag at all, or any special tools in fact. I just spread some blue buttercream on with a knife and then lift it up in sharp spikes all over the cupcake, know what I mean? Then I use 2 white chocolate buttons (not sure what they'd be called in the US, prob candy melts) for the eyes and 2 dark chocolate drops for the centres, shove a mini cookie in there and you're done! Very easy to do
a tip - try to get a good dome on your cupcake, it looks better for the faces.

DesignerWoman Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #4 of 12

What a cute cupcake! I must try this sometime icon_smile.gif

Montrealconfections Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:02am
post #5 of 12

I made these guys last week I covered the whole cupcake in buttercream then added the fondant decorations.

Crabbabs Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 12

The way that has worked best for me is to pipe two big white circles in buttercream for the eyes, pipe with the grass tip around that, and use chocolate chips for the pupils (with the pointy part pushed into the white icing, so the flat bottom is showing) We also put half of a cookie where the mouth should be for cookie moster, and fondant for the mouths of the other monsters.

Pickulz Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks Everyone! I just made my sesame street cupcakes...I thought they turned out cute!! And pretty easy to do!

cylstrial Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 12

They did turn out cute!

Here's the link to Pickulz's sesame street cupcakes!

Pickulz Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:09am
post #9 of 12

sorry..didnt realize i cud have attached my pic...
let me see if i can now

fishabel Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:12am
post #10 of 12

They look amazing. Well done

cylstrial Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:48am
post #11 of 12

LOL! Well look at me. I wrote here's the link and then forgot to put the link there. I love it when I do dumb things. Hehe.

fishabel Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 12

Did you use a single hole nozzel or can you get one that has heaps of holes in it. I was thinking about it the other day when I had to do some grass.

Quote by @%username% on %date%