I have a few questions regarding using Rhonda's MMF recipe:
1. How far in advance can the MMF be made?
2. Is wrapping it in saran wrap and then a ziploc bag sufficient for storage or do I need to refrigerate?
3. To soften the MMF after storage, is it best to microwave it for a little while or is it better to just keep kneading it?
4. About how much does 1 recipe yield?
Rhonda's MMF is a good recipe. It has a great taste and good mouth feel. I use it for cookies.
IMHO here are answers to your questions:
1. Lots of folks make and use Rhonda's MMF immediately or let it sit for 24 hours, then use it. I prefer to let mine sit for a couple of days, I think it helps eliminate the little bits of sugar.
2. Double wrapping it in saran wrap and putting it in a zip lock bag on the counter is sufficient. I never refrigerate mine.
3. I just keep kneading it, very very seldom do I microwave it.
4. The recipe yields about 2 lbs, 12 oz.
Edited to add:
When I make MMF, I use the largest Pyrex bowl in the set of three (if they still make them that way, mine are 30 years old). Melt the water and MM (using only 15 oz) for 2 bursts of 40 secs and one of 20 sec. Add the lemon juice, flavorings, corn syrup and mix in.
I sift the powdered sugar into the MM in about thirds. Mix well with a spoon the first two times. The third time, I grease my hands and start kneading the fondant in the bowl. I put all of the powdered sugar in and just keep kneading. It may not absorb all of it, but there is usually little left.
I never grease anything but my hands, and never turn it out on the counter, just knead it in the bowl. Less mess. You know it is right when it no longer sticks to your hands. Divide it in half, grease, and double wrap in plastic wrap, put in zip lock bag. If you put your bowl and utensils in hot soapy water, in a few minutes you can wash them with no problem, the sticky stuff is gone and you are done.
Sorry so long, but MMF intimidated me when I first started making it and it really is very easy.
Thanks for the tips! Would you happen to know if it will last for almost 2 weeks wrapped up in saran wrap? I looked at the calendar wrong and realized I don't really need it until June 19th and I made it last night.
It will probably be OK, but you could freeze it if you are concerned. I have not frozen it, but I know that some folks here on cc do. Take it out a couple of days before you need it.
Here is a thread that discusses freezing/not freezing:
Thanks for the tips Linedancer !
You are welcome.