Bubbles In My Smbc!!

Baking By ladyk333 Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 10:16pm by antonia74

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:44am
post #1 of 9

Okay, so I now know that with a crusting buttercream, the key is to get the frosting up to the top of the KA paddle as suggested by Sharon (excellent idea!) to get the bubbles out. Now, how about for SMBC? When I have tried to make a big enough recipe to do this, my meringue did not get cool enough and my butter melted in and it took FOREVER for the buttercream to come together.

I love SMBC, but I'm afraid I am not very proud of how my cakes look when iced with it! For piped cupcakes - beautiful! If I'm pouring ganache over, or fondant - no problem. I'm concerned about when it is just the buttercream - I have unsightly popped bubbles and such that are driving me crazy. Any ideas out there??

Thanks everyone!

8 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 9

You need to let it cool completely before adding the butter! Also, switch to the paddle attachment at the end of the mixing process.

Read my second looooong post in this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625843-plastering.html

ladyk333 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you, Antonia74!!! I am currently using your method for 3 cakes. I'll let you know how it goes!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyk333

Okay, so I now know that with a crusting buttercream, the key is to get the frosting up to the top of the KA paddle as suggested by Sharon (excellent idea!) to get the bubbles out. Now, how about for SMBC? When I have tried to make a big enough recipe to do this, my meringue did not get cool enough and my butter melted in and it took FOREVER for the buttercream to come together.

I love SMBC, but I'm afraid I am not very proud of how my cakes look when iced with it! For piped cupcakes - beautiful! If I'm pouring ganache over, or fondant - no problem. I'm concerned about when it is just the buttercream - I have unsightly popped bubbles and such that are driving me crazy. Any ideas out there??

Thanks everyone!

In my own experience if this happened then you did not get the proper consistency to the SMBC. It will have a nice taste and you may be able to frost it, but it is not going to taste the way it should.

Antonia is right - you need to let it cool completely. When done right it will take on an even different taste and texture. It will be like heaven in your mouth. Enjoy.

ladyk333 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:42am
post #5 of 9

Well ladies! I have to say that I am sooooo happy that I got this advice from you both! I tried Antonia's method and what a difference. I had 3 cakes, two covered in fondant and one buttercream with white chocolate ganache (tinted turquoise!!) poured over it and I was so excited to have smooth SMBC. It was just like soft serve ice cream. My other ones had been more fluffy like mousse (with lots of air bubbles). Thank you again!

antonia74 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 9

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Nice work! It's such a tiny thing, but it makes all the difference to the consistency, eh?

You can get your cakes as smooth as glass now! woohoo!!!
LL

ladyk333 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:28am
post #7 of 9

Wow! That is fabulous! I'm not quite that smooth, but I'm getting there. I'm finding that waiting the 1/2 hour makes a big difference - when I'm pressed for time and rush it, I've still got some bubbles.

ladyk333 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #8 of 9

By the way, Antonia, we have a great friend who is a prof at Kingston University. I'll have to send him in to your shop! You do BEAUTIFUL work!

antonia74 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks!!

(No shop here, I did that in Toronto....but now I'm kicking up my feet and taking a break from my own biz.)

Send him to Pan Chancho Bakery here, I'm there as a manager in the Dessert Dept now!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%