Rk Treat Wedding Cake Construction Help!

Decorating By K8E Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 10:42am by K8E

K8E Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #1 of 10

I'm making a rice krispy treat wedding cake and wanted your thoughts as to how you'd construct a three tiered (16,12,8 ) cake. No fondant covering or anything...

Can I just stack them on top of each other??? should I have a cardboard between or have a dowel down the center???

She wants them to be ooey gooey, not dry, so I'm making it all the night before the wedding, and need to travel with it about an hour and a half...

Feeling a bit perplexed! icon_confused.gif

Attached is the bride's inspiration
LL

9 replies
mrsbriggs06 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:47am
post #2 of 10

i would support it, especially since if it's ooey gooey the tiers would stick to each other...
but i would also hope that she realizes that once you make it ooey gooey goodness, that the pristine look above (of uniformly colored cereal) will be much different from the white coated cereal her cake will have...

it's almost like you can either have yummy taste... or you can have neat honey coated/corn syrupy neatness...

tesso Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:54am
post #3 of 10

cake boards between those tiers !!! If they are ooey gooey then it will be one BIG ooey gooey stuck together. I think RKT are heavy and you definately want some support.

SISA Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:57am
post #4 of 10

My neice has already asked me to do this for her wedding. Please keep us posted on what you did and how it worked out. Good Luck!

PiccoloChellie Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:14am
post #5 of 10

Cast my vote for boards and maybe a couple dowels as well, just to be on the safe side. Ooey gooey doesn't sound very stable to me.

And, erm, just out of curiosity....what do you charge for something like that?? Never heard of such a thing before and I'm intrigued.

madgeowens Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:27am
post #6 of 10

What would you charge for a cereal treat wedding cake OMG..........I can't bellieve someone would want a rkt cake....must be because I am a seniior citizen lol

K8E Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 10

I'm charging the same that I would for a cake; I'll let you know if it's a mistake! icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:10am
post #8 of 10
leily Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #9 of 10

I would at least put each tier on a it's own board so that it can be dissassembled and cut easier. As for dowels.... I would just do 4 under each tier as a just in case, depending on how soft your RKT are don't want any concerns.

K8E Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:42am
post #10 of 10

Well it turned out great! Thanks for your suggestions! I put each tier on a cardboard, and stuck in some small plastic dowel rods between the tiers. I constructed it before I transported it and it was great for an hour and a half delivery! I used 6 24 oz. boxes of RK, 12 16oz. bags of mini marshmallows, and 3 pounds of butter to make it! I could make it two batches at a time.

Melt two sticks of butter slowly in large pan. Add two 16oz. bags of mini marshmallows, saving about a cup for later. Stir constantly over low heat until melted. Add to 24 oz. of RK (in a LARGE bowl). Just before you're ready to push it into the pan, add last cup of marshmallows.

Here's a link to the photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ktcakery/4674037789/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%