Help...modeling Chocolate Problems

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 2:02am by PiccoloChellie

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:50am
post #1 of 2

Wondering what I am doing wrong...my modeling chocolate hardens straight away shortly after I make it (choc melts and corn syrup) and softens nicely whenI try and use it, however, it does not ever seem to get pliable like the sort of creamy dough like stuff I see on tv and mine gets really shiny and makes a mess all over my hands (and when they I ALWAYS have cold hands). I see pics of everyonemaking wonderful people ande animals and I had a heak of a time just making the cross on the communion cake in my pics.

I am wondering if I don't have the right recipe or if this is really how it is.

HELP...whay am I doing wrong?
TIA

1 reply
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 2

What recipe do you use?

This sounds like a problem I had when using a cheaper brand of white chocolate - greasy, not pliable, etc.

One thing that helps with the greasiness is, directly after you mix the chocolate/corn syrup and it comes together, scrape it onto newsprint and allow it to rest at room temp for a couple hours, then take it off the newsprint and age it in the refrigerator for 8-24 hours. This will wick away the excess grease and make it easier to work with. You should be able to find newsprint at larger craft stores or art supply stores.

I also keep several paper towels at hand when I'm working with modeling chocolate and use them to blot any excess oil off the chocolate itself.

If you're still having trouble, especially with white modeling chocolate, try mixing it with up to equal amounts fondant. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%