Which Do You Use?

Decorating By jayshunnie22 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 4:26am by sweetiesbykim

jayshunnie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayshunnie22 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 17

I use gel colors when coloring fondant but no matter how much i add the color never seems to get stronger,it always looks dull so what do you guys use? Thanks

16 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 17

I mostly just use Wilton, but if I want a strong color I use a SUPER red or black or whatever, then you need less. I find Americolors excellent, esp for the super colors.

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 17

I also use the ameri colors. I agree about the look. That's why I have been seriously contemplating getting an airbrush machine. It looks like it would have a true-er (?) colour.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #4 of 17

I forgot to add: that if you are using MMF, add a lot of color in with your marshmallow BEFORE the powdered sugar, then you have less to color at the end and you will also get a stronger color.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 17

I was JUST coming in here to whine about my fondant colors today! LOL I had to make the dreaded red- And i started out with strawberry pink fondant (added jello to my marshmallows) but it was STILL hard to make red, and then it broke apart and was awful, had to nuke it and add stuff and it never really got great, but was workable. I was going to ask if we could add color to the mix before adding the PS. Seems like it would make the adding process easier and less kneading. LOL

And I only use wilton, no choice. I get to Hobby Lobby about once every few months, and have wlmart as my only cake supply store.. and it has NOTHING in it. LOL

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:52am
post #6 of 17

I purchase all my colored fondant online -black, red, blue, fuchsia, lime green, purple, etc. I would NEVER go back to coloring those colors, just lighter pastels now icon_smile.gif

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:53am
post #7 of 17

No one carries the americolor near me either, that's why I order it off of the internet. Thier colors are way stronger! When it comes to red or black fondant, I buy it. Satin Ice has those colors and they are very vibrant. Only way to go for the deep colors!

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #8 of 17

I had the same question, cause I used so much wilton coloring it made the icing taste terrible. I finallhy broke down and bough Americolor on line and I can't wait for it to get here to test it out thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #9 of 17

Sweetiesbykim what kind of fondant do you use?

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:33am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut1027

I had the same question, cause I used so much wilton coloring it made the icing taste terrible. I finallhy broke down and bough Americolor on line and I can't wait for it to get here to test it out thumbs_up.gif

If you're talking about buttercream, the americolor red still makes that awful taste! I can't stand making red icing because of how horrible it ends up tasting. You can't get it red enough with wilton no-taste red though!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:46am
post #11 of 17

americolor rocks !!!

sweetiesbykim Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:27am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I use choco-pan mixed with satin ice for white, but usually the straight choco-pan for colors. I still want to try the new brands of colored and flavored fondants though icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:50am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I use choco-pan mixed with for white, but usually the straight choco-pan for colors. I still want to try the new brands of colored and flavored fondants though icon_smile.gif

Thanks, I never tried Choco-pan, but I am going to look into it. Had to use wilton this weekend for colors it was awful!!!!

sweetiesbykim Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 17

And what I love about the Choco-Pan is if it gets too dry or a little old, just microwave for a few seconds until it's very soft, then knead and it's like new!! For REALLY old stuff, or when I haven't wrapped and stored it properly, I mix it hot with some new chocolate clay and maybe a little colored satin ice, and back to perfect!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 17

How long do your red and black preolored bought fondants last?

Everyone LOVES my fondant, which is why i am hesitant to buy a premade one, but for accent colors i guess I could.

But, I hate to buy it and then not have an order needing it for a month... Like last week, it was all reds, browns, dark blues. the next two weeks are pinks, light greens, purples etc.

Karen421 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:00am
post #16 of 17

I made my son a tye dyed cake for his birthday and wilton colors were nice and bright, but they were cracking, like they were old or over worked, which they weren't. The cake was cool, he liked it, but I hated it!! If it was for someone else- I would have pulled it off and painted it! I am definitely going to give choco-pan a try!

sweetiesbykim Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #17 of 17

If they are wrapped really well in several layers of plastic wrap, then stored in freezer ziplocks, they can last at least 6 months or more! I'm pretty well stocked with colors now, but at the beginning it was a little expensive to collect them all. I buy them 2lbs at a time icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%