Cake For My Mom....

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm by GL79

Thanksharla Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #1 of 11

My mom is turning 65 this year (August) and we are throwing her a big surprise party. I want to do a 3 tier cake with blue flowers. I was thinking about having the flowers cascading down the tiers.

What I want to know is...how do I pull this off without it looking like a wedding cake?

10 replies
Thanksharla Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 11

No one??

Peanut1027 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 11

My daughter turned sixteen this year and she wanted exactly what you are explaining. I added butterflies and a tiera so it woiuldn't look like a wedding cake. Maybe you could make "65" out of gumpaste or chocolate and tied it in that way

matthewkyrankelly Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 11

Avoid classic wedding cake traps. Do not use traditional borders or swags. Change up the flower so that it is more modern - less wedding cakey. Maybe offset the cakes so that it is more like steps than a traditional stacked wedding cake. You could then use the additional area to add more decoration(ie garden theme: park bench, bumble bee etc.).

Last, wedding cake is still cake. So, there's going to be a lot of similarities. Don't sweat it too much.

cricket0616 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 11

A chocolate cake with blue flowers is very pretty. I had planned on making one similar to this for my birthday.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1665544.html

Thanksharla Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Avoid classic wedding cake traps. Do not use traditional borders or swags. Change up the flower so that it is more modern - less wedding cakey. Maybe offset the cakes so that it is more like steps than a traditional stacked wedding cake. You could then use the additional area to add more decoration(ie garden theme: park bench, bumble bee etc.).

Last, wedding cake is still cake. So, there's going to be a lot of similarities. Don't sweat it too much.

Thanks for the great ideas. I like the butterfly idea. Can I make them out of royal icing? I haven't dabbled in gumpaste yet...I'm scared lol.

I could also make some bumble bees out of fondant for the flowers. If I can pull it off I would love to make some lilacs...they are her favorite.

cutthecake Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 11

Don't put a bride and groom on top!

Peanut1027 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 11

And its very easy to make butterflies out of royal. and then dust them with different colors. It looks really good icon_biggrin.gif

Thanksharla Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut1027

And its very easy to make butterflies out of royal. and then dust them with different colors. It looks really good icon_biggrin.gif

Would I make them on foil so I can fold the foil so the butterflies look like they are "flying"?

Peanut1027 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 11

Sorry for the delay...Its been a busy weekend. What I did was made them on wax paper just the wings (not the body's). Let them dry, dusted them then I made the bodys4x4 peices of wax paper. I use stamens for the antenna's and the stuck the wings in the body and laid them on Wilton flower formers to make them stand up. They look great! Good luck

GL79 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 11

How about adding a photo of your mom on top then of the kids on each tier?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%