I Have No Time For Creativity!

Decorating By jenmat Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 1:24am by artscallion

jenmat Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #1 of 2

I got my Cake Central magazine today, and although it was AMAZING, I can't help but feel depressed.
I just don't have any time to be creative anymore. Between returning emails, baking, mixing icing, etc.... all the things that go into running this cake studio, I don't feel like an artist anymore!
I was hoping for a down-season, but there was pretty much no break, and with 43 weddings booked this season, there's just only so much me to go around! Most of my brides bring in pictures they want duplicated, so I'm not even given much freedom there. I want to improve and grow and really get into creating some pieces with original designs, but man, by the time everything gets done, all I want to do is collapse!
Every feel like that?
Just wanted to whine a bit! icon_cry.gif

1 reply
artscallion Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #2 of 2

Turn down the brides with the magazine clippings. Tell them you don't reproduce cakes; you are a cake designer, not a baker/decorator, and start promoting yourself as such. Raise your prices to reflect this change in the product you now offer. You'll lose some customers. But the ones you keep or gain will be paying more. Ideally, if you make the transition right, The number of cakes you do will go down, the amount of $$ you take in will remain the same (or go up), and you can devote more time to being creative with each cake.

It's a theory. But it's been done. Trust me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%