New Smbc Convert

Baking By Shadylady78 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 5:15am by ladyk333

Shadylady78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shadylady78 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 7

I made my first batch of SMBC the other day, and it was wonderful. It never went through the "curdled" stage, but was delightlfully rich and creamy. I have one question though, I have read that it doesn't take color very well, and I was wondering if since it has such a large amount of butter if maybe oil based colors would work better to color it?

6 replies
KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 7

I have been wanting to try making smbc, can I ask what recipe you used?

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 7

I've not had problems with the color. The only thing is that since it doesn't start out totally white like BC made with Crisco and Powdered Sugar, the colors aren't as true. But no problem. I use Americolors and Wilton colors with no problem.

HTH

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 7

it takes color great for me (i think the americolor works better than the wilton). if i have to go really, really deep (stain the teeth type dark colors) i use candy color because i don't have to use as much), but other than that, i am just fine with americolor.

Shadylady78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shadylady78 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristasKakes78

I have been wanting to try making smbc, can I ask what recipe you used?

I used the recipe from dyannbakes.com 4 oz. egg whites, 8 oz. sugar and 12 oz butter. I whisked the eggs and sugar over simmering water (in my stand mixer bowl) till they were hot and the sugar melted. I didn't pay as much attention to temp as I could have because I used pasteurized egg whites in the carton. Then I whipped them up on the stand mixer till cool and stiff peaks, and then dropped in chunks of butter about a tablespoon at a time till it was all mixed in and smooth and fluffy.

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:12am
post #6 of 7

The "Well Dressed Cake Swiss Meringue Buttercream" recipe on CC under "Most Saved Recipes" is great and has some wonderful flavor suggestions. I do use more sugar, as I like mine a little sweeter than this recipe turns out. I use 1 1/2 cups rather than 1 for a single batch. If you've not made SMBC before, keep in mind that it is a "base" for flavors. You must add significant flavors to it. Do use really good vanilla if you're going to just have vanilla frosting. I've made chocolate, brown sugar vanilla, lemon, strawberry etc. and they are all really lovely.

good luck!

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:15am
post #7 of 7

Oh, yes, as for color, I've used the Wilton ones and they do work fine. I no longer use clear vanilla extract (I had problems with the Wilton one smelling and tasting "skunky") and only use real vanilla - therefore my colors are changed somewhat by the off white base. I've not had any complaints about this - the colors still look lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%