Fake Cakes What To Charge?

Decorating By rowingmom Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 1:07am by littlecake

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 9

I have had my first request from a bride yesterday for a Fake cake. I am not sure what the point of a fake cake is. If I charge them for materials and labor it isn't going to be much cheaper than a real cake. Do I just rent it to them and the cake is mine to rent out for later? What Do I charge for rent? What if it is ruined at the reception? Should I have a Damage deposit? This is very new to me and any insight would be great. Thanks

8 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 9

charge exactly the same as a real cake the same size.

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 9

Most people I know give a discount of anywhere from 15% to 25% off the cost of making a real cake. The real labour in decorating is the decorating.

As for renting, it's an option. Where I am cakes are rented for anywhere from $100 to $300, depending on size and design. For example, a 3 tier cake with ribbon and flowers might rent for $100. You need to charge a damage deposit and ensure that they understand if there is anything missing or any damage to the fondant (ie tears, etc) you'll charge them what it'll cost you (in time or product) to repair it.

Whatever you do, good luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 9

I charge my regular price minus 25% off for the fake cakes..........NOT because it's any cheaper for me but because it's MORE convenient for me, since I can stretch the decorating out along weeks whereas with real cake I do all the decorating the night before the wedding!

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the input. I quess I was thinking I could charge less for it because I wouldn't pay for the rent on my kitchen, because if they aren't going to eat it I could do it at home.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:28am
post #6 of 9

I usually charge $1/less per serving than a real cake would cost....

I think I'd reconsider "rent" though..who else is gonna want to rent the exact same cake? If nothing else maybe like an equipment deposit...and they get a certain amt refunded if they return the "cake".

I did a part real/part fake cake (to make it taller) and I just charged my prices and left the whole thing there, let them just throw out whatever and serve the rest.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:38am
post #7 of 9
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 9

I charge 80% of the price of actual cake (or 20% less than real cake)

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I charge my regular price minus 25% off for the fake cakes..........NOT because it's any cheaper for me but because it's MORE convenient for me, since I can stretch the decorating out along weeks whereas with real cake I do all the decorating the night before the wedding!

good point!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%