Two Toned Cupcakes.....

Baking By cakebaker1978 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 12:53am by indydebi

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hello my favorite cake people! I have a question about making two toned cupcakes! How to I get the frosting 2 different colors? I believe it is something about striping the bag?? Anyone have instructions for this technique?? Thank you!! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 6

Get out your piping bag..Stripe the darker color inside the bag with a spatula starting at the very bottom and going all the way up.Fill the bag with the other color and squeeze until you see the striping come out.It's very easy!

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 6

I haven't decorated cupcakes with this but flowers. I think it's called icing plugs. I take one color and wrap in saran/clear wrap. Take the other color and do the same. Make sure one end on each icing plug has a long tail of clear wrap. Thread each plug into your icing bag, pulling the tail out through your coupler. Pull tight and far enough out to bring your icing into your coupler and cut with scissors. If you lined your colors evenly you should have good distribution of both colors.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 6

Depending on the look you're going for, I've dropped random dollops of 2 or 3 different colors into a piping bag to get a multi-toned effect.
Here's some I did awhile ago using that method:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1210125
Each cupcake comes out a little different because the dollops are random.

I've also used a paintbrush to paint gel colors directly on the inside of the bag and then filled it with white icing. I don't have a photo of the cupcakes, but I did that with red color/white icing to get a "candy cane" sort of look for Christmas cupcakes.

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNatividad

I haven't decorated cupcakes with this but flowers. I think it's called icing plugs. I take one color and wrap in saran/clear wrap. Take the other color and do the same. Make sure one end on each icing plug has a long tail of clear wrap. Thread each plug into your icing bag, pulling the tail out through your coupler. Pull tight and far enough out to bring your icing into your coupler and cut with scissors. If you lined your colors evenly you should have good distribution of both colors.

i was thinking you could pack 2 bags, each with a different color, and then put them in a 3rd bag for the same effect.

i might have to try this next month!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #6 of 6

I just put 2 colors of icing in the same bag. Here's the result: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1325627

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%