Help! Why Am I Getting Bubbles In My Fondant?

Decorating By Julisa Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 3:55am by sweettoothtreats

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 3

I am covering a rice cereal ball in fondant. Going to be a golf ball. I am using Satin Ice and have rolled it to about 1/8 of an inch thick. I crum coated the ball in buttercream then iced in buttercream. Let it sort of crust so I could smooth out with wax paper. That went fine. Then sprayed with water to make sure fondant would stick. But when I covered with fondant I keep getting air bubbles trapped. I smoothed from the top down lifting the edges..blah blah blah. What am I doing wrong? I still have two tiers to cover and don't want to run into the same problem. Help Please.

2 replies
Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:55am
post #2 of 3

Ok. I smoothed my BC very very well after I let it crust a little. Then I put some simple syrup in a tiny spray bottle. After I had the Satin Ice Fondant rolled out to the correct thickness and size I sprayed the cake with the syrup. Then quickly put the fondant on. The excess ended up getting pretty sticky, but it did help a little with the bubbles. I still had a few that I was not able to get out with a stick pin. Does anyone have any hints, tips, or suggestions on how I can avoid this? I tried to take my time smoothing the top before adhering the sides, but then my top edge started to do that elephant skin thing. Anyways thanks for reading.

sweettoothtreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothtreats Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:55am
post #3 of 3

I had a similar question about fondant settling. some one told me to put a "tile" on the cake, allowing it to settle before topping with fondant. Therefore you'd avoid the elephant skin. However, I cannot answer the air bubbles question, as it happened to me 2x and i don't know how to fix?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%