Heavy Cake Topper

Decorating By joelni Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 10:36pm by joelni

joelni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joelni Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

I have just purchased an ornament to go on the top of my daughter's birthday cake.....not taking into account the weight of the topper. With it being porcelain it is quite heavy. Do you think that if I put dowels in the cake they will support it? It is a 2 tier cake.

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 6

I have one of those coming up this weekend. I'm going to put a board on the top of the cake and put dowels in it so that the topper is sitting on the board, not on the cake.

joelni Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:50am
post #3 of 6

How are you planning on covering the board? Or are you just going to cut it so it doesn't show under the topper?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:24am
post #4 of 6

You will definitely need dowels...You know how to dowel tiered cakes don't you? If not, Edna has a great tutorial on youtube.
I did a groom's cake with a rather heavy figure on the top tier. I not only used dowels, I cut a circle out of gumpaste and let it dry til it was very hard (not long since it was gum paste) and then let the figure 'sit' on the gumpaste circle. It supported it very well. The picture is in my photos.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:19am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelni

How are you planning on covering the board? Or are you just going to cut it so it doesn't show under the topper?

I ended up just putting dowels in it without a board, but if I'd used one I would have just iced over it, no big deal.

joelni Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks!! Glad it worked out for you, now wish me luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%