I Don't Want My Buttercream Shiny

Baking By jessiq Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm by Marianna46

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 11

My buttercream is always shining and I think it looks greasy. Does buttercream always look like that or am I doing something wrong? Please help!

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 11

what recipe are you using right now?
Is it humid right now where you're at?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 11

A meringue butter cream will be shiny where as a powdered sugar and shorting butter cream will be matte. That is the nature of the base of each icing.

jessiq Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 11

I use Wilton and it looks the same anytime of the year. I love the taste not the image. I feel that is what is the biggest difference is in my cakes looking great.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 11

I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and it isn't at all shiny. Do you use water or milk in your icing? How much shortening? What brand of shortening?

jessiq Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #6 of 11

I use 1 cup Crisco, 3.5 cups conf sugar, 2 tablespoons egg white powder, 2 tsp extracts. So if I don't use the egg stuff it will be matte?

jessiq Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:12am
post #7 of 11

Oh and I use heavy whipping cream most of the time or just milk

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:20am
post #8 of 11

For 1 cup of shortening, I don't think you're using enough powdered sugar, and then adding liquid extracts and milk/cream on top of it.....I would definitely increase the ps. What is the consistency of your buttercream?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #9 of 11

I agree with JohnnyCakes..about the sugar/fat ratio. I use 1 1/3 cup crisco to 2 pounds powdered sugar and less than 1/2 cup half and half and 1 tablespoon clear vanilla.

Add more powdered sugar and honestly you really don't need the meringue powder or "egg stuff" as you call it thumbs_up.gif .

jessiq Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 11

I will add more powder sugar and hopefully be matte. If I don't use meringue powder it will still crust? Doing it the way I do now it gets pretty stiff. It worries me to add even more sugar. But I only use 2-3 tablespoons of milk/cream so I'll also use more of that like you suggested. I'll try it tonight.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 11

The proportion of sugar to fat seems off to me, too. I use a recipe with both butter and shortening (3/4 cup of butter and 1 1/4 cup of shortening), 2 kilos (4.4lbs) of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of flavoring and 4-6 tablespoons of milk, depending on the consistency I want. Then I basically beat the doowadiddy out of it (10-15 minutes in my Kitchen Aid). It crusts and it's not at all shiny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%