How Soon Can You Fill Cakes With Fresh Fruit?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm by DetailsByDawn

sweettreat101 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 6

I will be using fresh strawberries on a three tiered cake for Saturday. What is the soonest I could fill and decorate without the berries turning soggy? Should I mix some strawberry gel in them or will they be ok without? I was hoping to fill and crumb coat Thursday night, decorate Friday and deliver on Saturday.

5 replies
melmar02 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 6

I would love to know this too. I'm making a lemon cake and want to use sliced strawberries to fill, but I'm also worried about the soggy factor. I can just picture my fondant melting away!

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 8:57am
post #3 of 6

This is what I found online since I didn't receive a response.
Can I get fresh fruit in my wedding cake?
Yes, you can get fresh fruit in your cake in certain situations. Fresh fruit should not be displayed for more than 2-3 hours and should be cut up and served immediately. You should not "wrap" cake with fresh fruit in it. Fresh fruit like strawberries and bananas are added to our mousses. We do not offer fruits in glazes as a filling. With over 15 years of experience, we can tell you that fresh strawberries and glaze as a filling in a stacked wedding cake, is not structurally sound.
I think I will be telling my brother that I am only putting fresh strawberries on the bottom tier. I was planning on putting a layer of vanilla mousse under the berries now I wonder if I should just fold the berries in the mousse. I wonder if anyone has tried this. My cake is not stacked so I'm not really worried about the stability and lucky me they only have the hall for two to three hours.

melmar02 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:13am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about structure either - I'm only making a single tier for a friend's birthday. I appreciate you posting your findings. icon_razz.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 6

I emailed a cake decorator that I have known for ten years and she said that she bakes and fills with fresh strawberries no more than 24 hours before the event. Also the cake needs to be stored in the fridge. She told me that she folds fresh strawberries in the strawberry filling that they use in her bakery. She also said you can fold fresh strawberries into a mousse filling. I have decided that I am only putting strawberries on one tier. My brother is just going to have to happy with what he gets its free anyways. LOL

DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 6

Blah! I hate fresh strawberries!!!!!!! Now I only offer fresh pureed fruit creamed with SMBC - it's lovely , light, and fresh - tastes like a dream, and most importantly can be filled earlier!!! Yay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%