Bad Press On My Competition. What To Say?

Business By sweetartbakery Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 3:05am by Mabma80

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 11

I'm opening up a shop in my small town, and when even I'm in town and doing business with locals (I try to use all locally owned, small businesses to support the town). The owners always ask what type of business I'm opening, and then I tell them... Their next words are always to bash this women that is located close to me. I've heard everything from mold in food, rotten food, and just plain dirty and nasty. good for me, right! BUT I have no idea what to say. I crossed paths with this woman at a wedding recently (she didn't know who I was) and she walked around complaining about me all night (I made the wedding cakes, and she did the food. I only agreed to mix with her because it was for family). What could she even complain about, I had rave reviews that night. jealous? How would you handle it? I'm in the ignoring mode now.

10 replies
dchockeyguy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 11

I'd say just continue to take the high road and ignore it all. Just do your business and let your work speak for itself and don't bad mouth her. No reason to give her more fuel.

Chasey Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 11

I completely agree! Never let it be said about you that you had one negative thing to say about her.

When someone mentions these things to you, I would dismiss the conversation with something positive such as "I am delighted you (they) are choosing me as the baker" kind of thing. Ignore the dish about her.....you never know when someone could be trying to lead you down that road and they know each other! Shady, but possible.

Dizzymaiden Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetartbakery

...jealous? How would you handle it? I'm in the ignoring mode now.

I would smile and continue on being the best at your craft. Living well and being gracious IS the best revenge.

TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 11

Ignore it! Those that know her and her business will not think twice about what she has to say.

If you feed into it, then it makes you look bad as well. Don't play her game, be nice to her when you see her, and she will get over it and move on. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 11

I would stand tall - take a deep breath and with confidance walk up to her next time you see her - extend your hand to shake hers and introduce yourself.

Many times in life, people talk of you/behind your back and yet they have bo idea who you are or what you are about......As was the case for you recently.

Once she knows who you are and how proud you are to be *you* her bad mouting might cease.
If not - deal with that when the time comes.

Don't shy away from her - you have your business and business name to uphold and she needs to know right from the word go that you are a self assured women........in business.

Be polite - be plesant - but most of all take charge of the situation.

Perhaps it is her moldy mouth that the towns folk have had enough of.. icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 11

thanks everyone. I know I need to take the high road, but oh my is it tempting to tell her about her moldy, rotten food. ha ha! I won't though. I just let my husband have it when I go home, poor guy. I should buy him a present!

jillmakescakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 11

The best reply I've been able to come up with when others have bad things to say about my competition is "I'm sorry that you had that experience with her/them." Then I go on to say what we can do for them.

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 11

Don't say anything if people complain to you about her, it's totally unprofessional. If people ask me about/gripes about other bakers I say that I can't comment on someone else's business, but this is how I do it. Then I go tell my husband what they said icon_twisted.gif

sweetartbakery Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 11

Yeah, I'll go into town to pick up drycleaning and come home with 3 mold filled apple dumpling stories for my husband. At least its entertainment, right? I hate to delight in her failure, makes me feel like a jerk, but I can't help myself!

Mabma80 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:05am
post #11 of 11

If you're not getting complaints from the people/clients, then just ignore her. It's just the rantings of a bitter, jealous, and obviously bad baker. She's only making herself look bad because everybody is going to you. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%