Red Velvet Nightmare

Decorating By momma28 Updated 14 Oct 2010 , 8:17am by sweettreat101

momma28 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 8

OK I knew there was a reason that I dont offer red velvet. I personally think it is gross. All it takes is one bite to give me a headache from the food coloring.

BUT....I had one bride I just could not talk out of this cake flavor. So I agreed. Now I am regretting that. I tried Rose Beranbaums recipe and it turned out terrible, dense, flavorless, dry (and I LOVE the cake bible and most of her recipes)

The wedding is this weekend. I dont want to waste too much time trying recipe after recipe because I have another cake and 110 cheesecake lollipop favors to make.

PLEASE tell me your go to cake. I know I have seen alot of people use cakemans. Is it firm enough? This is the bottom tier and while I know that the supports hold the weight I generally dont use oil based cakes because when I tort they are a bit loosey goosey to work with (real technical huh) plus I just like butter based cakes for flavor reasons. Im gonna go bake the other flavors I need and hope someone takes pity on me and gives me the best red velvet recipe icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Ok enough begging...have to bake.

Thank you in advance

7 replies
dawncr Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 8
momma28 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 8

I broke down and called my bride to ask just how much of a cocoa flavor she was looking for since the amounts varied so greatly in all the recipes I have seen.

She told me that her favorite is magnolias rvc so I looked up that recipe and am planning on running with that. Im a little nervous since I have never seen anyone mention using this recipe.

Wish me luck icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 8

I use the original Waldorff Astoria traditional recipe with two cans of pureed red beets NOT pickled, just canned). You still have to add red food color to get it really red, but the recipe tastes good, and you can't taste the beets (which I personally don't think should even be considered food they taste so terrible). They do add some of the red color you need, and probably help the cake be moist. I'm pretty sure I got the recipe in the recipe section here.

Babarooskie Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 8

Momma:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the Magnolia's RVC recipe?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

momma28 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

Momma:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the Magnolia's RVC recipe?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

dont mind at all icon_smile.gif Google is our friend lol here is the link

http://oggi-icandothat.blogspot.com/2006/12/magnolia-bakerys-cupcakes.html

tennilley Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 5:04am
post #7 of 8

So how did the red velvet cake turn out? I have a red velvet wedding cake in December and am really nervous. I'm looking for different recipes to try. Did the magnolia recipe work for you?

Thanks!
Tennille

sweettreat101 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:17am
post #8 of 8

I have always wanted their cookbook. Let us know how your cake turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%