Sponge Cake W/berry Syrup Soak-Need Filling/icing Ideas!

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 1:19am by lizabu

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a baby shower cake and the mother-to-be is a strawberry lover but also loves Chocolate. I'm going to cover in fondant with several fondant accents. I want to make a sponge cake because I ALWAYS do a regular chocolate cake for her and she's never had one soaked with strawberry syrup. I don't like the chocolate sponges either. So, I thought I'd do a chocolate ganache filling/icing to add the chocolate flavor. Then I think I'll have to put it in the fridge so I don't get a bulge when it softens from sitting on the counter, but then I'll have to add the accents the day of the shower and I'm trying to get it done the day before the shower.... Am I making any sense? Should I just do (non butter) buttercream throughout and forget the whole chocolate aspect? HELP?

6 replies
lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 7

sounds yummy...chocolate & strawberry is a classic combination. Ganache is nice but if you're looking for something a little lighter a mousse would be good too. This is a chocolate mousse I've made a number of times and it's delicious:
120g dark chocolate
2 leafs gelatine (2 leafs=1 tsp powdered)
1 Tbs water

10g sugar
320ml 35% cream
Whip cream.
Melt chocolate in a metal bowl over hot water
Soak gelatine in cold water for 2 minutes. Wring excess water out.Put in a metal bowl with 1 Tbs water or liqueur of your choice.
Add sugar to cream and whisk in
Melt gelatine over bain marie
Gradually add a spoonful of cream to gelatine
Gradually add a spoonful of cream to chocolate
Add gelatine mixture to chocolate mixture
Fold remaining cream to chocolate

Because it's gelatine supported it holds up pretty well but if more than a couple hours its nicer refridgerated.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 7

Sounds absolutely delicious!! I always put my cakes in the fridge (not too cold of course and I have a seperate fridge for them), all with fondant covering and accent, and never had a problem before!!

I live in Spain and it is pretty hot already here, the thing I do with the cake to get to room temp is putting it in a room with airconditioning and just put a normal fan in front of it, this takes away the condensation in about 1 hour and the filling had just the right temp to eat.. icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your delicious cake!!
Lara

chillysmommy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks, the mousse sounds good!

chillysmommy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 7

I could do the mousse filling but I wouldn't think that would be a good icing under the fondant.... Should I just use buttercream or any other suggestions?

chillysmommy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 7

Would Whipped chocolate Ganache be similar to the Mousse? Lighter than regular ganache?

lizabu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabu Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #7 of 7

I've never tried the whipped ganache but if it's like a thick whipped cream consistency or simular to a canned frosting consistency it will be a simular consistency to the mousse. It sounds like it would work. For me because a sponge is a lighter cake I like a light filling. For example I wouldn't want to use a heavy fudgy filling. Something light and airy is nicer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%