Kitchenaid Mixer Question

Decorating By xanikesmom Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm by aprilblack

xanikesmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 9

Hello -

I recently got a Kitchenaid Mixer. It's the 5 qt bowl, 10 speed settings, professional edition. I washed it really well with soap and water before I used it for the first time and have washed it several times since. I have noticed, especially on 'white recipes' (cake batter, buttercream, etc.) that it leaves a gray film behind. Is this normal? Is it just because it's new and needs to be worn in a little bit or is it something I should contact the company about? I figured that since this is a stainless steel bowl that this shouldn't be happening. I know many of you on this site use Kitchenaid mixers and am not sure if this has happened to anyone else.

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 9

Is the beat plastic coated? If not, have you let it soak in water?

aprilblack Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 9

I have the 500 Pro series as well and it did the exact same thing in the very beginning when I first got it.. Its nice and broke in now so it doesnt do it any more.. Maybe do like the suggestion and soak it.. I think it may be normal though. HTH

brensmom12 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 9

I have seen this before in the same mixer. I remember the owner had washed it in a dishwasher and I think they say not to wash the uncoated (non-white) utensils in a dishwasher. I have a 600 series and the utensils are shiny. Don't know if they are the same though.

TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 9

Actually I was going to say, soaking the uncoated batter leaves a film on it, as does putting in in the dishwasher.

I learned that with my 6Q. Ended up buying another beater that didn't have the plastic coating on it.

xanikesmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 9

It's the uncoated beater and I have not washed either the bowl or the beater in the dishwasher ... only by hand. Hopefully it will normalize once it's broken in! I also have the 500 professional series.

alisapoly Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 9

I was searching the same topic over the weekend. After making WASC the batter had gray streaks in it. My mixer is the 5 qt stainless steel with the stainless steel paddle. I figured it was from the friction of the two hitting each other and ended up throwing out the batter because I was afraid it was flecks of metal all throughout the batter.

I do remember reading one time that Kitchenaid says to adjust the screw on the mixer, behind the bowl, a quarter turn because the vibration can misalign the equipment and cause this. I have not been able to find this info again because it is something I would like corrected before I can bake again.

xanikesmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 9

Now that I think about it, it does kind of sound like the beater is scraping the side of the bowl when it's mixing. I think I will call the company and just find out what I need to do. Glad to hear it's happening to others, but I too am worried that bits of metal are getting into my batter/buttercream. Definitely not safe!!

aprilblack Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 9

well I havent seen the grey streaks in a few years.. so it must be broken in by now icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%