To Refrigerate Or Not To Refrigerate, That Is The Question

Decorating By orchid001982 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm by KHalstead

orchid001982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchid001982 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 6

I have done a few fondant cakes so far, but I've always completed them the day before the event and never had to worry about refrigerating them or anything like that. Next week I'm making two cakes for two different events on Saturday. How far in advance can I bake and cover my cakes with fondant? Do I have to refrigerate them or will they be ok sitting out for a few days? And if I do refrigerate them what do I do about the fondant sweating?

5 replies
Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 6

I never fridge my cakes. Keep in mind, I also don't use any fillings that need to be placed in the fridge. Cakes will dry out quicker when placed in the fridge. If you do not have any persihable (spelling??) fillings your cake will be ok at room temp.

I bake on Thursdays for Sunday parties. I do not work with fondant covered cakes. But there have been countless posts stating NOT to store fondant in the fridge because of sweating. Maybe someone who used fondant regulary can clarify..

HTH

Michael
=)

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 6

Try this thread it may help - may not . Some say not to - Some say it is ok to. I have refrigerated for 8 years - so far so good.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-678793-refridgerate.html

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 6

I NEVER refrigerate any of my cakes.

orchid001982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchid001982 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone! That string really helped too. I was told in class not to refrigerate fondant but the Satin Ice website says you can refrigerate and freeze it so I wasn't sure, but it sounds like you can basically do either and it should work out. I'll have to experiment. Thanks again!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 6

I think the rule of thumb is generally if you don't HAVE to refrig. then don't......if the filling requires it, then you can get away with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%