Two Cakes To Make For The Same Day.....how Will I Manage?

Decorating By montanamommy Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 7:09pm by Kiddiekakes

montanamommy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 6

So I've been entrusted with the responsibility of making my brother in law's grooms cake as well as the wedding cake. I don't have any assistants to help me out so I'm wondering if anybody can give me advice on budgeting my time.

The grooms cake is going to be a snoopy doghouse with snoopy on top. Shouldn't be terribly tough and the wedding cake is a three tiered white fondant with black ribbon and some scroll work.

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

5 replies
HunneyBEE Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamommy

So I've been entrusted with the responsibility of making my brother in law's grooms cake as well as the wedding cake. I don't have any assistants to help me out so I'm wondering if anybody can give me advice on budgeting my time.

The grooms cake is going to be a snoopy doghouse with snoopy on top. Shouldn't be terribly tough and the wedding cake is a three tiered white fondant with black ribbon and some scroll work.

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

If I have a lot of cakes to do in the same day, (I too work without anyone's help) I make my cakes early.
Example. I have two for this Saturday and I will start baking today. Add my crumb coats and refrigerate until it is time to decorate, which will be tomorrow.

You just have to bake ahead of time, and make sure to add your crumb coat. This will keep the cake moist for days.

Then do some decorations ahead of time, especially if your doing gumpaste or fondant decorations.

You can do it!!!
Good luck!

luv_to_decorate Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 6

I did my son's wedding cake and grooms cake. I baked all my cakes except the 14" square bottom tier a week in advance and froze them. I didn't have room for the large square in the freezer. I took them out of the freezer 3 days before wedding and let sit in fridge. I then filled and crumb coated and put back in fridge. I baked the square cake on Fri. I also made all of the buttercream icing a couple of weeks in advance. The wedding was on a Sunday, so I iced on Friday and decorated on Sat. I did the stacking and finish work on Sat at the venue. His grooms cake was an Atlanta baseball hat on a baseball diamond.

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 6

When I have several cakes due on one day I start 4-5 days before..I calculate that I can do 2-3 cakes a day..I bake on Mondays,cover boards,make icing Tuesdays...Start decorating on wednesday/thursdays for friday pickup or saturday.I make the embellishments at the beginning of the week or before depending on when they are needed and what needs to dry longer.Time management is key....I usually have 7-8 cakes a week and most of them need to be ready for friday so customers can begin to pickup.I have limited pickup times and days..No pickups on Sundays!

HunneyBEE Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 6

Thank You Kiddiekakes! That was really helpful to me! I have been baking for a couple months now and I found that I can only do about 3 a week! So for you to be able to do 2-3 a DAY is amazing to me!!! Do you have help?
Thanks! If you have any more tips please share!!!!

Thanks!

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 6

Nope..no help...Just me...and I have 2 kids to get too and from school also and a hubby too so all this and running a household....It can be done!! I am a virgo so I am organized and a perfectionist so it isn't hard to get everything time managed!! LOL...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%