Mixer Preference

Decorating By AmyJones Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 5:05pm by 4realLaLa

AmyJones Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 19

I am very new to cake decorating and I am looking at buying a stand mixer. I have had people tell me different things about each brand...is there one you prefer?
Thank you!

18 replies
brensmom12 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 19

I have 2 Kitchenaids and LOVE them! They are workhorses so even with stiff dough they do well. I recently got a new Professional 600 series Kitchenaid which is amazing and if I had done it all over again I would have purchased this first! My Artisan works well but for doubling recipes I go to the bigger Professional size. Hope this helps!

lisamenz Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 19

If you are doing cakes in a small way . Such for family and friends and etc. I love my Kitchen Aid Mixer. I do cakes professionally. I have had mine for 15 years. Not a issue with it. It keeps on running and running. The only thing, with the new ones, get the wider bowl at the top. Makes it easier for stirring and adding things. Good luck icon_lol.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 19

I'm glad I looked here before I posted my question. I too, am looking for an excellent stand mixer. I blew my last one, which was a hand-held mixer.

So, everyone agrees that the KA stand mixer is the best one? What about Hamilton Beach, Rival, Kalorik or Sunbeam? What is the best speed/watts to look for? Thanks in advance for your replies.

AmyJones, I didn't mean to hijack your post. I just want to buy the best mixer possible.

PiccoloChellie Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 19

Kitchenaid all the way! I adore my little workhorse. icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:09am
post #6 of 19

I love my KA 600, and I got a couple of extra bowls - so I could finish all the mixing before I had to wash everything.

debster Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #7 of 19

I have a 4 1/2 , 5 , and 6qt kitchenaid. The smallest is 5qt is the oldest I bought it on Ebay. The 4 1/2 is in the middle and the 6qt is the newwest. It's amazing the weight difference in the stands from years ago to nowadays. Don't be afraid to purchase a used one the parts are easy to get and fix if you have someone to help you. And if you ever see a Hobart they are also made by Kitchenaid. Good Mixers!!!!!! I bought a Sunbeam years ago and burned it up in a week.

Now for a hand mixer I found online a Dewalt 300 watt hand mixer and boy does that baby purr. My neice was over one day mashing taters and said wow this thing has power. I can not tell you through the years how many 50.00 hand mixers I burned up , but this one I paid 80.00 with no shipping and have had it for 4 years now. That's the story of my mixers. Enjoy!!!!!!!

AmyJones Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 19

Artese...no worries.
Thank you all for your suggestions!

crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 19

everyone seems to love kitchenaid - and i would too - if i could bring myself to spend that kind of money...

i have a wolfgang puck stand mixer that i got from hsn. he has a wonderful line of kitchen products and so far i love every one i've gotten. the mixer is 600 watts and i want to say it was around 200 bucks.

Mel2085 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 19

I have a Cuisenart 7 qt and I LOVE IT!!! I have heard of way too many horror stories about KA with their gears breaking because they are made in plastic now instead of metal! with mine I did a cake.....and I put 4 cake mix boxes and added things to doctor it up and my mixer took it like a champ!! Also I made a 3 1/2 batch of icing....that is 1 1/2 cups crisco, 1 1/2 cups butter 6 1/2 pounds of powder sugar! It runs a little loud but it is great plus it has a timer on it so I can set it for 2 minutes and do something else and not forget and over whip something!!

abeane Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:00pm
post #11 of 19

My boyfriend and friends pitched in and gave me a KA 600 6qt Pro for my birthday and it is awesome. I just made gumpaste in it the other day, accidently added too much powdered sugar so the dough was very stiff but the KA just kept on mixing, no overheating or anything. Before my KA, I was using a vintage (and I mean seriously vintage, this thing is probably from the 1950s) Sunbeam mixer that I got from someone on Craigslist for $10. I don't know how often the Sunbeam mixer was used before I got it but I do have to give it props because it was still going pretty strong... but it was super noisy, had trouble with stiffer dough (definitely no gumpaste or fondant), and it started shaking so hard I was worried it was going to jump right off the counter.

JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 19

Sunbeam here, and LOVE it! It's an older model but it is a workhorse! I also have a newer kitchenaid but I stick with using the Sunbeam for the most part! :]

LisaMarie86 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 19

My mom got a KA probably 15 to 20 years ago and it just within the last year has started to fail. It no longer will go at a slow speed it is medium or higher. It was well loved and made thousands of double batches of choc chip cookies in those years. We got a new one from Sams Club about a year ago and it is also a workhorse. I made bread for my brothers wedding reception and mixed up several batches of dough and had no issues.

devorie Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 19

I've got the Bosch. I love it. This video compares the bosch and ka. http://www.dvo.com/video/bosch-vs-kitchenaid.html

Angelfire3 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 19

Greetings all,
I just bought a brand new KitchenAid K45SSwh Classic 250 Watts Stand Mixer for $157.50 ($151.50 + $6.00) on ebay this morning. Anyone on here have this model?

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:43pm
post #16 of 19

I also have a KA and bought it Kohls when they were doing one of those if you spend $50 you get a $10 gift cert for the next week which made it a pretty decent buy. That said I would think about what you want and go up a size. If you think you want the 4.5 get the 5 and if you want the 5 get the 6...It's one of those things that it's going to last forever so you better get one that will grow with you. I didnt' and I refuse to buy another oneicon_smile.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:45am
post #17 of 19

I really wanted the red KA mixer, but I had to settle for the white one on ebay. I have my kitchen decorated in read accents. I have red dishes (cups, plates, bowls, colander) cutlery set, place mats, toaster, quesadilla makers, etc and I wanted a red mixer to finish it off. Oh well! I settled for a white one. I hope the KA lives up to the hype/hoopla.

dettdunn Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #18 of 19

I have had three KA's and recently 'upgraded' to a Cuisnart 7 qt. I did this because the horsepower was better; compared things on Consumer Reports and it won my vote. Powerful and large!

4realLaLa Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 5:05pm
post #19 of 19

I got mine as a gift when I graduated from college. I wanted the KitchenAid Professional 600 but I decided on the KitchenAid Artisan. I've had it some years now but I love it. I still want to get the Pro 600.

Quote by @%username% on %date%