Purchasing Pre-Made Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 12:15pm by CakeInfatuation

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 6

Okay... so time is money and flowers are TIME CONSUMING!!! There are so many suppliers out there of great looking gum paste flowers.

So... my questions:

Have you used a supplier of sugar paste flowers?

If so:

How did they look? I have heard that some look less than stunning.

Did they arrive in tact with good packaging?

Were they a good value?

Does your supplier have a good selection?

Would you recommend them?

Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

5 replies
lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 6

I totally admire people who do their own sugar flowers. Nothing more beautiful then that. I for my business , am about time and beauty. I have used pre-made sugar flowers for years. I usually order them in white and then spray them or color them, according to my needs. The only colors you have to pre-order are deep colors , such as red, black, purples etc. I have ordered from Wholesale Sugar Flowers, Cal-Java, and also I believe Global Sugar Art sell flowers also. This works great for my business. I do alot of wedding cakes. The brides are happy. I charge only what the flowers cost me , plus delivery fee. That is fair. The bride wants her cake to look beautiful, that is the bottom line. In most cases the bride only cares the flowers are in the colors and style that she desires. She doesn't care it they are hand made by me. I tell them right up front. They can even veiw the catalogs I order from, so they know exactly what they are getting. Time is money. In my area, brides won't pay for the high end sugar flowers. So for me its a win, win. Good luck. Happy Cake Decorating.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 6

I ordered some once when I had a cake due and didn't have time to make the flowers due to travelling right before the cake was due. I can't remember the company I used though - I got it as a referral from someone on CC. The flowers arrived MOSTLY intact, not wholly, but I think only 1 or 2 out of the 40 I ordered were broken. These were really inexpensive ones - geesh I wish I could remember the name. I have the catalog at home. I ordered them in white, and then used my own dust to color them. They were okay, but not as good as if I'd done them myself. The gumpaste wasn't rolled out near as thin as I would have made it, so they weren't quite as realistic looking. But they certainly helped me out in a pinch!

That being said, I also ordered baby's breath and filler cherry blossoms before, and was thrilled with them. Those little buggers take so much time - I was happy to have someone else do it!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #4 of 6

Check out Pfeil & Holing. (they carry Cal Java flowers, and sell them for less than the prices listed on Cal Java's site.)

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #5 of 6

I order from wholesalesugarflowers . com I always get them fast, they are pretty and are never broken.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 6

I was wondering about Pfeil and Holing. I have one of their catalogs from my bakery supplier. The arrangements are soooo pretty in the book and the prices are really reasonable. Plus... I don't have to pay shipping because the bakery supply is only about 20-25 minutes away. I'll have to see if they have catalogs on just flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%