Wedding Cake Question

Baking By DanielleO Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 9:24pm by cherran

DanielleO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleO Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 15

Hey everyone I was recently asked to make a Wedding Cake and I was wondering if there is a certain recipe I should use for the cake so the weight of the tiers do not collapse on each other. I'm nervous that with having more than three tiers its going to just fall into its self.

Also, does anyone have a amazing recipe for WHITE crusted buttercream. The couple does not want fondant. I recently just did a cake with crusted buttercream and it turned out yellow. I am not sure how to make it white.

Thank You,
Danielle

14 replies
cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 15

dont use butter, just shortening for a white color and crusting

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 15

When I do my crusting buttercream, to keep it pure white, I only add clear flavorings by gourmet brands. I get the butter taste without the yellow tint to the buttercream. People rave over my buttercream. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 15

The structure you use to hold the upper tiers is what supports the cake. NOT the cake itself. You can use just about any recipe you want for the cake.

I recommend the SPS system, if you do a search for SPS and use the author Leah, you will get some really good information.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleO

Hey everyone I was recently asked to make a Wedding Cake and I was wondering if there is a certain recipe I should use for the cake so the weight of the tiers do not collapse on each other. I'm nervous that with having more than three tiers its going to just fall into its self.

ANSWER:
CAKE DOENS'T SUPPORT CAKE Your support system (cardboard cake circles/dowels support cake. You can stack angel food cake with the proper support system. I use the "origional" WASC recipe by kakeladi found on this site. It is a good wedding cake recipe. I strongly suggest you watch some tutorials on youtube on HOW TO STACK A CAKE because without proper supports your cake is "going to just fall into its self"
Like I said CAKE DOES NOT SUPPORT CAKE. That's the job of the support
system.

Also, does anyone have a amazing recipe for WHITE crusted buttercream. The couple does not want fondant. I recently just did a cake with crusted buttercream and it turned out yellow. I am not sure how to make it white.

ANSWER:
I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe. It's white/white and really delicious.
Use CLEAR vanilla not pure vanilla or it will be ivory.

I also suggest that you do a practice cake before your wedding cake is due so that you can learn how to properly stack a cake.

Thank You,
Danielle

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 15

I absolutely agree, if you haven't stacked before, you should do a practice cake ahead of time. There are a lot of video's on you tube that will help and a lot of different ways to stack.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:22am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymark

Or you can use a combination of butter & shortening with clear vanilla extract. I use that combination and my cakes turn out white.

DanielleO Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 15

Thank you everyone.

As to the white buttercream I did use shortening and it still turned yellow. I used crisco is there another brand I should use because the Crisco turned it yellow

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymark

Or you can use a combination of butter & shortening with clear vanilla extract. I use that combination and my cakes turn out white.

I use butter and real vanilla and its still white. Have shortening and half butter, with about 4 cups of powder sugar. You can add meringue powder if you want. I got this recipe from tonedna. She's great!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 15

Crisco is snow white it should not have turned yellow. Did you use clear vanilla? If not it will turn.

DanielleO Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:03am
post #11 of 15

yeah i just found out what happened i used BUTTER flavored crisco which is why it turned yellow

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:39am
post #12 of 15

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of dondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #13 of 15

OP - how many cakes have you baked and decorated before? how many stacked cakes have you done before? In all honesty, your posts indicate such a lack of experience that I recommend you pass on this wedding cake. You really shouldn't be making someone's wedding cake without having done many (as in several dozens) cakes, including stacked ones, prior.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 15

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Everyone has to start somewhere but you really do need to know how to support a stacked cake before doing someone's wedding cake. SPS will be your best friend.

cherran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherran Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 15

Danielle,
Make sure you use fresh everything for the wedding cake. Can't emphasize this enough!

Crisco sticks with red printing on the wrapper are butter flavored and, as you found out, will turn the BC yellow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%