Dealing With This Bride, Any Help?

Business By shorty56 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 1:18am by hsmomma

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:37am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Return the deposit and be done with her. THen say a little prayer for her new husband.

Sounds as though he will need all the prayers he can get.

Be done, be done, be done....and be glad.

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #32 of 39

Don't give her back the deposit! Stand your ground! She knew you may not have been able to do it, but they decided to go with you anyway. WTH?! No! Don't return her deposit cause you spent time with her in tasting, etc.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:21am
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabma80

Don't give her back the deposit! Stand your ground! She knew you may not have been able to do it, but they decided to go with you anyway. WTH?! No! Don't return her deposit cause you spent time with her in tasting, etc.

That's true, you could return all but the portion that covers the time you spent with her. I think the issue is whether the contract says that the cake would have to be delivered early or not.

Someone else had mentioned that, but unless that was written on the contract and initialed, even, then she could make the case that it wasn't discussed even if it was. I'd still just give the money back to get rid of her.

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:45am
post #34 of 39

I love reading these....I will never have any inclinations on doing cakes other than a hobby (not that I ever could anyway). I don't think I could take these kind of people...ugh. You've already handled the situation with great style icon_smile.gif

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:54pm
post #35 of 39

You were very clear and polite with Bride and she was being unreasonable.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

If I were you, I would email her with something short and sweet:

I am happy to refund your deposit to hold your wedding date as we can not gaurantee an after noon delivery. Our recollections of the delivery time discussion appear to differ. I am placing your voided check into the mail today. I wish for you a beautiful ceremony and reception and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

I agree with this approach. No amount of explaining is going to change her mind about what she wants to believe--and starting a fight will just make your bakery 'her wedding horror story' to tell over and over again, because all brides seem to have one 'horror story' to recount when all is said and done. Money returned, and be happy to fade from her memory so she can obsess over something else. And i'm sure she will!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #37 of 39

I'm still curious as to a question someone asked earlier...did the contract she signed STATE that the delivery had to be in the morning?

If so, you do not owe a deposit back. Because in signing, the bride obviously agreed that the cake "sitting out all day" was absolutely fine.

What a little snot. I can totally understand later feeling stupid and regretting I pushed the baker to do something they probably shouldn't do (delivery so early) but the least she could have done is say "Man I realized this isn't going to work...do you think you could refund the deposit this time? It was my mistake."

Sounds like you are a popular, busy lady! I cannot imagine doing so many cakes!!! Wow! thumbs_up.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanslayer

You are all better people than me because I wouldn't refund a penny of the deposit. I would consider it payment for the amount of time spent trying to appease her.

I am with you. I have stated in my contract deposit is not refundable.

But if you dont have that in your contract, I would just send a refund invoice and put in the memo Canceled Wedding and call it a day. I wouldn't put all that stuff that you want to put, makes you look defensive and to be honest, is a little too emotional for a business transaction. If she wants to cancel, let her cancel. And consider this a learning experience, as I too would have put delivery time 10 am or whatever in the contract.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #39 of 39

Chasey's brief description will yeild the best response out of her. She will get her deposit back and will be less likely to utter a nasty word about your business.
I believe you deserve to keep the deposit based on the work you put into her...but, sometimes it's not worth it. Be done with the headache. She sounds like a bride that would have balked even if you delivered a perfect cake during her timeframe.

Definitely a vote to handle it the way Chasey suggested. Let us know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%