Chocolate Cake Help Needed

Baking By kittie313 Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 2:24pm by mamawrobin

kittie313 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 2

I told my oldest kid (7yrs old) that since she didn't get to help with supper last night, I'd let her bake a cake today (with help). Usually she does a boxed mix, this time she wants a REAL cake. She wants chocolate, all I have is unsweetened baker's chocolate (full box of it). What would be a great recipe for her to do with that chocolate melted down? I'm obviously going to help her with it, since she's working with the oven and my stand mixer, so it doesn't have to be *too* simple as long as its a well-laid out recipe. We'll be doing vanilla buttercream to ice it (another new thing for me, I'm a boxed mix and canned icing kind of gal) I *think* but I'm not committed to it yet (gotta see if I have all the ingredients first, don't know if I can afford to add that stuff to my shopping list). So, can anyone suggest both cake and icing for a real cake newbie and her 7yr old daughter to make together? I'm making it in a couple 9" round pans, its the only pans I have other than my glass casserole dishes.

1 reply
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 2

Sorry but a boxed cake is REAL cake icon_lol.gif Where did she, at 7 years old, get the idea that it isn't? I do use melted chocolate baking squares in my cake but it starts with a box mix.

If your 7 year old wants a REAL chocolate cake the recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa can is what my mother always uses. She bakes REAL cakes. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%