Any Suggestions For A Wedding Song For A 7 Year Old To Sing?

Lounge By cherrycakes Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm by sexy_baker

cherrycakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 12

Hey everyone! My aunt is insisting that my son should sing a song during the wedding ceremony of my cousin on July 3. I've been trying to find something that would be appropriate but I'm coming up blank. They are suggesting really old songs that would be strange for him to sing so I'm looking for something more contemporary. They would prefer a religious song but are open to anything. And yes, my son can sing! icon_lol.gif Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

11 replies
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 12

How about "The Lord's Prayer"? It isn't really a "new" one but it's beautiful.

cherrycakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks mamawrobin! That's actually one of the songs that we're thinking about as he already knows the prayer. I've been dismissing it but maybe it would be a good choice. Any other suggestions?

KHalstead Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 12

when my DH and I got married my step DD was 8 and she sang a song at our ceremony..............it didn't have anything to do with US, it just happened to be a song she loved and we all thought it was VERY well done and VERY sweet of her! I don't remember WHAT the song was, but I remember it did talk about love so it was fitting.

So my suggestion is, why not ask the child what he'd like to sing ...have him give YOU a list of songs he would like to sing and then you pick the one that fits the occasion the best??

The fact of the matter is, he's going to be the one singing it and wouldn't it mean more to the cousin if it was a song that he wanted to do for them vs. a song he was being told to do for them? Also would probably make him more comfortable and in turn make him sound even better if it's a song he's comfortable with or actually enjoys......or at the very least, at least a song he KNOWS! lol

catlharper Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 12

Our son (age 7 at the time) sang "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" from Cinderella for his older sister's wedding. There wasn't a dry eye in the house!

margaretb Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:25am
post #6 of 12

Maybe just flip through the song book at church. Often in the back the songs are indexed into categories (e.g. Easter, Christmas, funeral, wedding), and see if any of those strike you or him. At our wedding, during the signing of the registry, my cousins sang "The Wedding Song (There Is Love)".

I'm glad to hear you are looking for something age appropriate. It always strikes me as creepy when little kids or tweens sing songs about their passionate love or even less appropriate things.

LOVE the Cinderella idea!

cherrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have also been looking for something for him to sing during the reception program and "A Dream is a Wish" may be perfect for that!

I actually came across an incredible version of The Lord's Prayer arranged by the Christian group, Selah. The accompaniment is so much more accessible and beautiful than the over-the-top original accompaniment so I may go with that one if the other soloist isn't singing it already. It must be a traditional song to sing in the Lutheran church for weddings.

And yes, margaretb, I agree completely with you! Little kids shouldn't be singing about adult content!!

sexy_baker Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 12

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I was drawn by the topic on this thread. I recently saw an old video on youtube with 2 sisters singing "I Will", (originally by the beatles) on a wedding reception venue. I was really taken by their cute voices (ages were 7 and 6, I think). They even blended nicely. I love that song, so I suggest that one if you may.
icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 12

[quote="sexy_baker"]Hi, I'm new to the forum and I was drawn by the topic on this thread. I recently saw an old video on youtube with 2 sisters singing "I Will", (originally by the beatles) on a wedding reception venue. I was really taken by their cute voices (ages were 7 and 6, I think). They even blended nicely. I love that song, so I suggest that one if you may.
icon_smile.gif[/quote

Welcome to CC! Thanks for this suggestion - I'm actually not familiar with this song so I'll have to check it out!

sexy_baker Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 12

Hi again! I was pertaining to this video here:

I did a random click on YT and heard them...I loved it!

Hope you already have an idea on the song. Goodluck to your son! icon_wink.gif

JGMB Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for sharing that video!!! It has me smiling from ear to ear!

sexy_baker Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 12

I know what you mean...it's my weakness to hear talented singing kids. I'm glad you liked it too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%