Scared To Outline In Black Icing Again

Baking By sweet56pooh Updated 15 Oct 2010 , 2:04am by OneCreativeCookie

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:52am
post #1 of 20

Is this normal? I did a trial run to see how I was going to be decorating my cookies. I used RI and outlined in black and then flooded with colors. I had bees and ladybugs cookies, so there was a lot of black. When my taste testers started to eat the cookies, I noticed their lips and teeth were all black! icon_eek.gif I don't want this to happen at the party! Did I use too much black? I used the wilton black gel coloring. Has this happen to you? TIA!

19 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:37am
post #2 of 20

yah, black icing will give wonderful colored lips and tongue. Usually a nice dark green. icon_lol.gif IF anyone finds a way to avoid this we will have to have a statue erected in their honor. icon_lol.gif

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 20

Yup, it's the nature of the beast. Dark colors equate colored lips, teeth and tongues.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 20

Ditto. Black icing=black teeth. I will say that the young hockey players I made black hockey puck cookies for loved that look though. icon_lol.gif

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 20

Lol! Ok, at least I know it is to be expected. I changed my color scheme so I won't be using too much black. Maybe just for the outline. I guess I'll just have to settle with the fact that I will have pictures of the guests with coloful mouths! Lol!

momma2many Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma2many Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 20

why dont you do the lines in dark chocolate?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 20

you can try and outline using black fondant from an extruder........I find that black fondant is MUCH LESS likely to turn mouths than royal is.

TracyLH Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks, KHalstead! That is great to know! thumbs_up.gif I have not yet done fondant on cookies, but will file that information away in the back of my mind. Much appreciated!

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

but will file that information away in the back of my mind. Much appreciated!

Tracy, don't file that too far in the back of your mind....you may have a hard time locating it later on as you age..... icon_lol.gif Then again, "They" say most people have a great long term memory...it is the sort term we have problems with~~~ Happy decorating everyone!! icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

Tracy, don't file that too far in the back of your mind....you may have a hard time locating it later on as you age..... Then again, "They" say most people have a great long term memory...it is the sort term we have problems with~~~

Memory problems? Trouble pulling the word out of my brain? Never! icon_lol.gif Actually only yesterday I told the kids to put their dirty laundry in the dishwasher and told my daughter to go get her "big puffy thing that you sit on". She said with an incredulous look, "Do you mean my beanbag?" icon_confused.gif

I have now put the info KHalstead wrote in a file. No trusting my memory!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Tracy, don't file that too far in the back of your mind....you may have a hard time locating it later on as you age..... Then again, "They" say most people have a great long term memory...it is the sort term we have problems with~~~

Memory problems? Trouble pulling the word out of my brain? Never! icon_lol.gif Actually only yesterday I told the kids to put their dirty laundry in the dishwasher and told my daughter to go get her "big puffy thing that you sit on". She said with an incredulous look, "Do you mean my beanbag?" icon_confused.gif

I always say that my memory loss, not being able to say what I wanted to is not due to my getting old. It is actually from the fact that I am so busy and trying to keep everything in my mind that needs to be done.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif
evelyn

TracyLH Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

I always say that my memory loss, not being able to say what I wanted to is not due to my getting old. It is actually from the fact that I am so busy and trying to keep everything in my mind that needs to be done.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
evelyn

Actually I think that is exactly it. I am always two or more thoughts ahead on what I have to do and can only pull so much out of my brain at one time. The current sentence? I don't have time for that. I am already thinking three projects ahead! icon_lol.gif

kittykat416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittykat416 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #13 of 20

Arrgh, I did a search of the Cookies forum to see if I could get any tips on how to prevent black icing not just from staining lips & tongues, but also my hands, my icing bags, spatulas and even counter tops....! But it seems that it is a common problem without an easy solution (I'm not going down the fondant road...) I use Wilton's food colourings; does anyone know if Americolor is any less likely to stain everything in sight???

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #14 of 20

I don't really "do" cookies, but do use a fair amount of run-sugar pieces on cakes. I often use edible markers to outline or add details...wonder if that would work for y'all? icon_rolleyes.gif

CookiesinLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiesinLA Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:46am
post #15 of 20

Americolor will give you a truer black - without the green tint and you'll use less coloring gel. Use the Super Black. But as far as clean up and lips, etc.. probably about the same.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:17am
post #16 of 20

I heard that Chefmaster gels are great for not running!! anyone else find this?

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:46am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif
evelyn

I have the same problem. I always say the older you get the more you have to remember. It's kind of like your computer hard drive is just about full. For every new thing I have to remember I forget something else. Maybe I need to defrag!!!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 3:48am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesinLA

Americolor will give you a truer black - without the green tint and you'll use less coloring gel. Use the Super Black. But as far as clean up and lips, etc.. probably about the same.

I have found Americolor superblack creates less lips/mouth stain than Wilton

gen2026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gen2026 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:19pm
post #19 of 20

Well, I am about to try my first ever cookies ....football related cookies with school colors of black and gold. Glad I saw this - guess I need to try to limit the black and do more gold. Thanks for the info!

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 2:04am
post #20 of 20

I have had good luck adding coco powder to my glace....don't know how this would work out with RI though. Just starts me from a darker place, not so much black necessary and the coco flavor is not particularly strong (for better or worse)...sort of like the glaze on a chocolate doughnut (w/ the glace, that is).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%