How Do I Get This Texture?

Decorating By vanki Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 7:13pm by jemchina

vanki Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:21am
post #1 of 17

Does anyone know the best technique to get this buttercream texture? It is not too smooth nor too rough. How can i achieve this happy medium?
LL

16 replies
robyndmy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:38am
post #2 of 17

I'm truly curious and unsure, so I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but why wouldn't you want the buttercream as smooth as possible?

icer101 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:47am
post #3 of 17

I truly think, that it is b/c icing, not smoothed correctly. It doesn,t look like it was done on purpose. Just needed a little more smoothing.I could be wrong. But i don,t think i am.

bmoser24 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:48am
post #4 of 17

Agree w/robyndmy...but I know that if you bc with a spat so your sides arent continual smooth, let crust a short while then paper towel(try diferent brands of PT's) using your hand to smooth instead of a fondant smoother, you can stop when you get the smoothness/texture you desire. I'm thinking that pic might be a dummy cake? The tier bottoms look to have been iced when together already, not in seperate tiers. Interesting, though. I get this look without trying...lol, hope it gets popular!

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:22am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I truly think, that it is b/c icing, not smoothed correctly. It doesn,t look like it was done on purpose. Just needed a little more smoothing.I could be wrong. But i don,t think i am.

Once again I agree with icer101 thumbs_up.gif

tesso Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:32am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

Interesting, though. I get this look without trying...lol, hope it gets popular!

that is just too funny. icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:51am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:

Interesting, though. I get this look without trying...lol, hope it gets popular!

I agree tesso.....what are you doing up so late? icon_lol.gif

tesso Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:54am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:

I agree tesso.....what are you doing up so late? icon_lol.gif

I rarely sleep. which is why I have so many hobbies, read so much, and pop on here at the oddest hours. What are you doing up so late?

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:59am
post #9 of 17

Same as you icon_lol.gif I just don't sleep much. thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:36am
post #10 of 17

I agree, that is a halfway smooth buttercream, sort of a partial effort, and it does look like it was iced after the tiers were already stacked.

Hey mamawrobin, I'm in West Little Rock...where are you?

Welcome to the Insomniacs Club icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 17

Sugarfrosted...I'm in Sheridan. Not that far from you thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 17

I'm jealous SugarFrosted and mamawrobin. I wish I didn't need much sleep. I have chronic insomnia and yet, I need my 7 - 9 hours or I don't function well at all. SugarFrosted, I'm still waiting for you to come by the shop sometime. I get there around 12:30 Tues - Friday and there until at least 6:00. I would love to meet you! mamawrobin, I would love to meet you too. If you're ever coming into town, come by. I'm at 1424 N. Shackleford in west Little Rock.

ninatat Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 17

even though i haven't made a wedding, just cakes, but i agree, it looks like they frosted the layers when they were on the cake,

vanki Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 17

Personally i agree that it looks like unfinished buttercream. I love smooth bc with the viva method. But the bride LOVES this look and what the customer wants the customer gets!

jennbrownrigg Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:18pm
post #15 of 17

When I first tried the paper towel method (and I still haven't perfected it) this is the look I got...but itsn't it always easy when we're not trying to do it but then when we ARE trying, we can't get it to look 'perfect'...or in this case, imperfect...

Debi2 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:52pm
post #16 of 17

I have to agree with the others. My first impression was they just didn't smooth the buttercream properly.

jemchina Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:13pm
post #17 of 17

It looks like a very dry buttercream. And I agree it seemed it was iced after being stack, which is probably why it was not smoothed better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%