Opinions On Sketch Please

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 12:03pm by jadedlogic

jadedlogic Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:50am
post #1 of 8

Hello! I am planning my sons first birthday cake for this weekend and I drew a quick sketch....but something about it seems off I just can't figure out what! Can I get some opinions on it please?

* The idea for the cake came from many different cakes I have seen here and on the internet

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

7 replies
catlharper Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:11am
post #2 of 8

Maybe red and blue "marbles" around the bottom or make them pearlized white to look like foam or bubbles?

mbark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:16am
post #3 of 8

I really like your sketch. Maybe add a lighthouse, since it guides the way, and that seems to be what your cake is about?

madgeowens Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 8

I think its really cute.....will be a very cool cake.

DetailsByDawn Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #5 of 8

Awwww, super cute!! I just did a cake with the same theme and phrase - but just a small 8", single tier. Maybe the Happy Birthday .... text is missing? Could that be what is off? I also agree that some pearlized or blue/red/white beads/balls around the bottom would be lovely. Maybe an anchor on the bottom right side - just to balance the lifesaver on the middle tier, left side? That said, I think if you did the cake exactly as sketched it would be perfect!! Much luck and happy birthday wishes to your little guy!

patticakesnc Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:55am
post #6 of 8

Beach umbrella, dolphins in the water, light house, bubbles, anchor?

Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:10am
post #7 of 8

Love the design on the sketch! Love the colors and everything. I've always wanted to do a similar theme. In addition, I would like to see some texture. Maybe a rope or such? I also think a lighthouse as a topper would look really nice--it would also add some extra height. Other than that, I think your sketch would really work as is. It looks great in my eyes.

jadedlogic Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! I was wondering what to put along the bottom for the boarder but was unsure if the beads would look okay - so it's great to hear that it will icon_smile.gif

I love the idea of a light house - the topper is going to be just flat cutouts (but standing up) so I don't know if I should put it slightly behind that or on one of the other tiers. Also I love the anchor to be placed on the bottom tier.

Rylan - the brown on the bottom tier is actually going to be a rope (I just couldn't manage to draw it like that lol)

Again thank you so much everyone I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%